New language pairs move to finals, please help select the best translations!
Thread poster: Ana Moirano
Ana Moirano
Ana Moirano
Local time: 14:44
SITE STAFF
Sep 11, 2023

ProZ.com translation contests

Hello all,

Finals voting is open for a new wave of language pairs in the current translation contest, A translator's life. Please help to determine the winning translations by voting for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place in your language pair(s):

• English to Arabic
  • English to French
  • English to German
  • English to Italian
  • English to Korean
  • English to Portuguese (BR)
  • English to Portuguese (EU)
  • English to Russian
  • English to Serbian
  • English to Swahili
  • English to Ukrainian
  • English to Urdu
  • French to Arabic
  • French to English
  • French to Italian
  • French to Portuguese (BR)
  • French to Romanian
  • French to Serbian
  • French to Spanish
  • Indonesian to English
  • Italian to English
  • Italian to Romanian
  • Italian to Spanish
  • Spanish to English
  • Spanish to Portuguese (BR)
  • Spanish to Portuguese (EU)
  • English to Malay
  • English to Norwegian

A total of 93 language pairs are currently in finals.

In eleven language pairs, unfortunately, too few people rated entries to define finalists, so they are currently "stuck" in the qualification phase. If you work in one of these pairs, please help determine which entries go to finals by rating them for Qualtiy and Accuracy. You can rate as many or as few entries as you like-- every rating counts!

• English to Dutch
  • English to Hebrew
  • English to Hindi
  • English to Slovak
  • English to Spanish
  • English to Tagalog
  • French to Portuguese (EU)
  • French to Russian
  • Italian to French
  • English to Persian (Farsi)
  • Spanish to French

If finalists cannot be defined in these pairs over the next week, they will be placed in Feedback so that those who made submissions have the possibility to receive feedback and comments from colleagues.

Happy voting!

Ana

• Zea_Mays
    Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
    Italy
    Local time: 19:44
    Member (2009)
    English to German
    + ...
    How many people to vote for finalists? Sep 12, 2023

May I ask how many people have to rate an entry as a minimum
    for it to make it to the final round?

[Bearbeitet am 2023-09-12 08:42 GMT]

Jared Tabor
    Jared Tabor
    SITE STAFF
    The number of raters needed depends on the number of entries in contention Sep 12, 2023

Zea_Mays wrote:

The number of raters needed to define finalists depends on the number of submissions in a given pair. Usually with a ratio of 3.0 to 4.0 raters per submission, lead translations can be defined. In some cases, clear finalists can be seen before that, and in a few cases the ratios need to be higher before a clear point spread can be seen between the top 3-7 entries and the rest. In general, staff, when promoting participation in either qualifications or finals rounds, seek to exceed those ratios where possible.

Zea_Mays
    Italy
    Member (2009)
    English to German
    + ...
    ... Sep 12, 2023

Jared Tabor wrote:

Zea_Mays wrote:

The number of raters needed to define finalists depends on the number of submissions in a given pair. Usually with a ratio of 3.0 to 4.0 raters per submission, lead translations can be defined. In some cases, clear finalists can be seen before that, and in a few cases the ratios need to be higher before a clear point spread can be seen between the top 3-7 entries and the rest. In general, staff, when promoting participation in either qualifications or finals rounds, seek to exceed those ratios where possible.

Thank you Jared!
    So it may happen that entries fail to make it to the final round
    because they had too few raters? This may be the case in
    combinations where a large number of entries were submitted.

Jared Tabor
    Jared Tabor
    SITE STAFF
    Correct Sep 12, 2023

Zea_Mays wrote:

So it may happen that entries fail to make it to the final round
    because they had too few raters? This may be the case in
    combinations where a large number of entries were submitted.

That is correct. The pairs which are being left in Qualifications for this extra week have that problem, they simply have not had enough raters yet to clearly define which translations should go to Finals.

In general, combinations which receive a large number of entries are also combinations where there is not a shortage of people who could rate, it's just a matter of getting those ratings. In cases where there are many entries, some people feel the need to evaluate all of them when rating, and that can be off-putting, but it is not required. In reality, if people rate just a few entries, however many they feel like rating, and the number of raters is sufficient, the better translations float to the top.

Elisa Vitale

Christel Zipfel
    Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
    Member (2004)
    Italian to German
    + ...
    Since the entries have been published Sep 14, 2023

the numbers of ratings (likes/dislikes) in my language pairs have remained almost the same. And there have been only a couple of agrees/disagrees to existing ones, with not more than 3 people (in only one case) rating the entries! You could encourage wider participation by offering a reduction of the membership price or whatever for example.
    Furthermore, I think the rating process is cumbersome and people don't understand how the rating is supposed to work. No wonder that so many contest
    ... See more
    the numbers of ratings (likes/dislikes) in my language pairs have remained almost the same. And there have been only a couple of agrees/disagrees to existing ones, with not more than 3 people (in only one case) rating the entries! You could encourage wider participation by offering a reduction of the membership price or whatever for example.
    Furthermore, I think the rating process is cumbersome and people don't understand how the rating is supposed to work. No wonder that so many contests in the past lasted forever and/or were never closed.
    My personal opinion!
    Collapse

Zea_Mays
    Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
    Elisa Vitale

Zea_Mays
    Italy
    Member (2009)
    English to German
    + ...
    not convinced Sep 14, 2023

Jared Tabor wrote:

... the better translations float to the top.

I am not convinced about that, but I will share my thoughts once the contest has ended.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
    Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New language pairs move to finals, please help select the best translations!

Wordfast Pro
    Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
    CafeTran Espresso
    You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »