London conference 2008 - Reaching London by train – fancy a chat on the way there?
Thread poster: Matteo Cais
Matteo Cais
Matteo Cais  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 20:06
English to Italian
+ ...
Oct 10, 2008

Hi all,
I’ve seen Michael Benis has suggested a car share scheme, which I find an excellent idea.
Now I’d like to suggest a “train share” programme, to allow people to meet colleagues and other participants on the way to London or back. With 200 registered participants from the UK, I guess many of them will be travelling by train and many of them on the same trains (on other conferences, I met colleagues purely by chance during the journey).

I, for one, will be
... See more
Hi all,
I’ve seen Michael Benis has suggested a car share scheme, which I find an excellent idea.
Now I’d like to suggest a “train share” programme, to allow people to meet colleagues and other participants on the way to London or back. With 200 registered participants from the UK, I guess many of them will be travelling by train and many of them on the same trains (on other conferences, I met colleagues purely by chance during the journey).

I, for one, will be leaving from GUILDFORD on both days of the conference and would be glad to meet people travelling from or by here.

I would suggest that anybody interested simply reply to this post and state their departure station in the title to make it appear in boldface. I feel that synchronising people so as to take the very same train will be the next step, to be done something like ten days before the conference through private messages.

I once read that Man reist nicht nur um anzukommen, sondern vor allem um unterwegs zu sein (Goethe, more or less “one doesn’t travel to arrive somewhere, but above all to be on the way”). Well, I always find that’s true.

So see you in London (or before)!
Matteo
Collapse

Angeliki Papadopoulou
Angeliki Papadopoulou  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 21:06
English to Greek
+ ...
Nothing to do with the trip or the conference, Oct 11, 2008

Matteo, I just read your post and it brought to mind "Ithaca"one of my favourite poems written by Greek poet Cavafy in the early 1900s, which in essence says what you said when quoting Goethe.

Here's the URL to a blog where you can read the poem translated in English and information ab
... See more
Matteo, I just read your post and it brought to mind "Ithaca"one of my favourite poems written by Greek poet Cavafy in the early 1900s, which in essence says what you said when quoting Goethe.

Here's the URL to a blog where you can read the poem translated in English and information about the post.

http://myworldbeyondstars.blogspot.com/2007/08/cavafys-ithaca.html

Enjoy!

Lina
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:06
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Also led astray by the Goethe quote. Oct 11, 2008

It reminded me of the English saying "It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive" (attributed to R.L. Stephenson).

Karen Rutland
Karen Rutland  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Travelling from Basingstoke Oct 13, 2008

Hello,

I'll be travelling from Basingstoke (via Woking).

Karen

Michael Benis
Michael Benis  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Great idea! Oct 13, 2008

Great idea Matteo, thanks!

I'll probably be travelling up train as well - but in my case on the Thursday morning....

Lucie Nicholsonova
Lucie Nicholsonova
United Kingdom
English to Czech
+ ...
East coast line Oct 22, 2008

anybody taking the national express east coast line? I will be traveling on the route Darlington- Peterlee-London. I will have plenty of time to talk to people....

Lucie Gallen
Lucie Gallen  Identity Verified
German to English
Travelling from Milton Keynes Oct 26, 2008

I'll be taking the train in from Milton Keynes on both days, if any one fancies a chat on the way there.

Margret Powell-Joss (X)
Margret Powell-Joss (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Travelling Thursday/Friday to Euston from Oban via Glasgow -- and back on Monday Oct 27, 2008

Hello
I will be travelling on the 20th, arr Glasgow Queen St at 21:29, dep Glasgow Central at 23:41, arriving at 07:19 on Friday 21st. Returning on Monday, dep Euston 10:29 for Glasgow Central arr 14:54.
Would be delighted to meet up with anyone having a bit of a wait at Glasgow Central, and/or travelling on the same trains, especially the day train back north.
Look forward to seeing you in London, or before, or after...
See more
Hello
I will be travelling on the 20th, arr Glasgow Queen St at 21:29, dep Glasgow Central at 23:41, arriving at 07:19 on Friday 21st. Returning on Monday, dep Euston 10:29 for Glasgow Central arr 14:54.
Would be delighted to meet up with anyone having a bit of a wait at Glasgow Central, and/or travelling on the same trains, especially the day train back north.
Look forward to seeing you in London, or before, or after
Collapse

Michael Benis
Michael Benis  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Conference Guide Nov 16, 2008

Just in case anyone missed the e-mails, the Conference Guide has been available since Friday at: http://www.translationconference.org.uk/Guide%20to%20the%20Translator%20as%20Strategic%20Partner.pdf

Please note that it's a 6MB file, which should print out nice clearly to give you something to read on your journey, a nice clea
... See more
Just in case anyone missed the e-mails, the Conference Guide has been available since Friday at: http://www.translationconference.org.uk/Guide%20to%20the%20Translator%20as%20Strategic%20Partner.pdf

Please note that it's a 6MB file, which should print out nice clearly to give you something to read on your journey, a nice clear Underground map for when you arrive in London and so on.

But if you need a lower resolution version, please just let me know and I'll e-mail one to you.

Michael
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

London conference 2008 - Reaching London by train – fancy a chat on the way there?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »