How to charge for telephone interpreting?
Thread poster: A. Deb
A. Deb
A. Deb  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:39
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 28, 2003

Hi everyone.

Can anyone give me any idea about how to charge for interpreting over the telephone? Does one charge per minute? Is a minimum fee usually established?

It\'d be grateful for any information.

Ana

Jana Teteris
Jana Teteris  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:39
Latvian to English
+ ...
Charge per minute Apr 28, 2003

In my experience, telephone interpreting is charged by the minute. (As a very rough guideline, 1 GBP per minute in the UK).

Erika Pavelka (X)
Erika Pavelka (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:39
French to English
Per minute Apr 28, 2003

Hi Ana,

I do telephone interpreting and it is paid per minute with no minimum charge. A Canadian interpreting client I have pays $1.25 per minute (which works out to $75 per hour in Canadian dollars).

HTH,

Erika

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:39
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Per minute, but do not forget the minimum Apr 28, 2003

Hello,

If you stayed home for a telephonic interpretation appointment (let\'s say it was for the court) and the claimant never showed up, or they called you to cancel the appointment, you should still charge them for 1 hour minimum. At least this is my practice. If you interpret every day for an interpretation company, then they usually pay you per minute.

Monika

andre_
andre_
United States
Local time: 13:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
I would chage by the minute. May 16, 2003

Phone interpreting is charged by the minute. How much to charge? Well, this depends on you. If you are a starter then you should charge about 65 cents a minute. Once again, I should remind you: this is only my opinion. Good luck.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to charge for telephone interpreting?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »