Any opinions on ProZ.com mentoring program?
Thread poster: Deborah_Lopez
Deborah_Lopez
Deborah_Lopez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:30
English to Spanish
Mar 22, 2014

Hi guys!

I'm another newbie trying to start her career as a translator. But, as you all know, that's not easy at all.

I do not have a degree in Translation, but a degree in English Philology plus specific courses in translation (EN>ES) and proofreading. Besides, I've been living in the UK for three years, so I think the language and linguistics part is quite well covered so far (of course I'm thinking in expanding my education with a master degree in translation, but th
... See more
Hi guys!

I'm another newbie trying to start her career as a translator. But, as you all know, that's not easy at all.

I do not have a degree in Translation, but a degree in English Philology plus specific courses in translation (EN>ES) and proofreading. Besides, I've been living in the UK for three years, so I think the language and linguistics part is quite well covered so far (of course I'm thinking in expanding my education with a master degree in translation, but that's not something I can afford right now)

My situation is similar to many of the newcomers here (the beginner's vicious circle): lack of experience, no job; no job, lack of experience. For the past two years I have been making translations for a mining company (both technical and legal documents) and I have translated also a few mobile apps, but it seems not to be enough when looking for clients (neither here in the job board nor outside). I am also trying to volunteer for NGOs and the kind, but have not succeeded so far.

So that, I am now considering the mentor program Proz offers: any opinions on that? Would it be useful? Have any of you taken part in the program? Is that worhty?

Thanks in advance for your comments (any other advice is of course more than wellcome)!

Deborah
Collapse

Mark Sanderson
Mark Sanderson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:30
Chinese to English
Finding the right mentor Mar 23, 2014

Hi,

I am sure that if you can find a mentor who works in your language pair then it would be a good programme to join. However if your language pair is more obscure (as mine is) I have found it hard to find mentors.

Good luck.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any opinions on ProZ.com mentoring program?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »