Sending translations.
Thread poster: Louise McNei (X)
Louise McNei (X)
Louise McNei (X)
Local time: 10:41
German to English
+ ...
Apr 11, 2014

I am considering starting doing some translation work.

Please could you tell me, (excuse my ignorance), when you send the finished translation back to the client, would this be as an e-mail attachment.

Thank you.

David Wright
David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 11:41
German to English
+ ...
yes. Apr 11, 2014

Simply.

Steven Segaert
Steven Segaert
Estonia
Local time: 12:41
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Other options Apr 11, 2014

You may want to investigate the possibility of using a cloud service for this.

Many could services let you share online folders with recipients and let you restrict access to viewing and downloading only.

Box.com, to name one, also sends you a mail if someone has accessed this folder (which could serve as confirmation of receipt). If you pay them, you can even password-restrict access and set expiry dates.

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Steven Apr 11, 2014

That might save a little time if you were sending very large files, but otherwise it sounds unnecessarily complicated to me.

Steven Segaert
Steven Segaert
Estonia
Local time: 12:41
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Has some advantages Apr 11, 2014

It has some advantages, Phil.

1) You can integrate it into your file management, to keep a synced version of your deliverables as (an improper) online backup or to sync across devices

2) You can get a confirmation that the client has received the files

3) You can look for a solution with increased security, and offer this increased security as an extra service to your clients

4) If you have a limited mailbox, you don't have to worry about attac
... See more
It has some advantages, Phil.

1) You can integrate it into your file management, to keep a synced version of your deliverables as (an improper) online backup or to sync across devices

2) You can get a confirmation that the client has received the files

3) You can look for a solution with increased security, and offer this increased security as an extra service to your clients

4) If you have a limited mailbox, you don't have to worry about attachments taking up your allocated server space

E-mail is convenient, but it has disadvantages. I simply mention this as an alternative to e-mail. What is unnecessarily complicated to some can be a good solution to others.
Collapse

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:41
French to English
back the way it came Apr 11, 2014

I remember a hi-tech translator putting something on her FTP for me when they were first introduced. She attached a list of instructions to download her file from there. As a PM with a frantic schedule of projects to handle, this was just too much and I told her that since I sent the file by e-mail, that's how I expected it to come back.

If I had to fly sky high to get a translation I might get even more annoyed.

Now, as a translator, I simply follow my own advice and
... See more
I remember a hi-tech translator putting something on her FTP for me when they were first introduced. She attached a list of instructions to download her file from there. As a PM with a frantic schedule of projects to handle, this was just too much and I told her that since I sent the file by e-mail, that's how I expected it to come back.

If I had to fly sky high to get a translation I might get even more annoyed.

Now, as a translator, I simply follow my own advice and send the translation back the way it came, and if ever it's not by e-mail, the customer gets an e-mail from me explaining that I had delivered whichever other way the file had first come to me and to get back to me if ever they had any problems.
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:41
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Agree with Texte Style Apr 11, 2014

If the client uses some sort of password-protected file transfer, then send it back the same way. As someone who's not at all IT-savvy, I hate the challenge that these methods present, but it's part of the job.

Gruzovik1947
Gruzovik1947  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:41
Russian to English
Dropbox Apr 12, 2014

Check out Dropbox at https://www.dropbox.com/

Dropbox is a free service that lets you bring your photos, docs, and videos anywhere and share them easily. Never email yourself a file again!

Dropbox suports the following languages:

Bahasa Indonesia
Bahasa Malaysia
Dansk [Beta]
Deutsch
English
Español (España)
... See more
Check out Dropbox at https://www.dropbox.com/

Dropbox is a free service that lets you bring your photos, docs, and videos anywhere and share them easily. Never email yourself a file again!

Dropbox suports the following languages:

Bahasa Indonesia
Bahasa Malaysia
Dansk [Beta]
Deutsch
English
Español (España)
Español (Latinoamérica)
Français
Italiano
Nederlands [Beta]
Polski
Português (Brasil)
Pусский
Svenska [Beta]
Українська [Beta]
ไทย [Beta]
中文(简体)
中文(繁體)
日本語
한국어

Dropbox works on the following operating systems: Windows, Mac, Linux, and Mobile
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Sending translations.

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »