Thread poster: Tom in London
Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:17
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
"Euros" indeed looks ridiculous, and like a Greek name. But not if you strip it of its capital "E" Jun 11, 2015

Tom in London wrote:

Michael Beijer wrote:

"euro" for the plural looks ridiculous.

No. "Euros" looks ridiculous. It looks like a Greek name. In Ireland, including on radio and TV, we say "Euro" for the plural. Try and stop us.

it's not meant to start with a capital "E"

It's:

"one euro"
"two euros"
etc.

"Like ‘pound’, ‘dollar’ or any other currency name in English, the word ‘euro’ is written in lower case with no initial capital. Where appropriate, it takes the plural ‘s’ (as does ‘cent’)" [very sensible advice]

I see what you mean though about the Irish dropping the s from the plural form. However, apparently some Irish sources (including the Citizens Information Board; http://www.citizensinformationboard.ie ) agree that it should be written in lower case. see e.g.:

"euro and cent
Always use in lower case." (Citizens Information Board Standards and Guidelines - House Style Guide, September 2012: http://is.gd/kd52CY )

[Edited at 2015-06-11 16:57 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Euros Jun 11, 2015

I wrote Euros because I was thinking "Euros Papadopoulos".

John Holloway
John Holloway  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:17
Dutch to English
+ ...
euros Apr 15, 2019

Despite the very good argument that euro (plural) avoids having a confusing variety of plurals for a word that should remain consistent across all European languages, I believe that it should (of course!) always be in lower case and always be euros in the plural. Euro (plural) just sounds strange. And there is now enough official directive in favour of plural euros. Further, I routinely use euros in financial reports and have done for years - without one client disagreement.

Michael Albers
Michael Albers
Portugal
English to Dutch
+ ...
It feels strange to use euro as plural in British English, but... Jul 17, 2020

John Holloway wrote:

Despite the very good argument that euro (plural) avoids having a confusing variety of plurals for a word that should remain consistent across all European languages, I believe that it should (of course!) always be in lower case and always be euros in the plural. Euro (plural) just sounds strange. And there is now enough official directive in favour of plural euros. Further, I routinely use euros in financial reports and have done for years - without one client disagreement.

...in Dutch it is strange to use the plural 's'. It's always euro. We already did that with the 'gulden' (guilder). The Germans do the same and did that with Deutsch Mark (DM).

I agree that it should be consistent across languages, but languages just can't handle that. And if this should be the same, what about the placement of the currency sign. Most countries write it behind (100 € ), but a few European countries write it in front (€100), oh, and the Dutch write € 100 with a space.

Anyway, informative (old) post, but still presenting issues. I still am pondering which way to go.

sdvplatt

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:17
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Euri Jul 18, 2020

Euri, I like that! 'Gli gnocchi costano dieci euri'. Cool...
Or: dieci dollari degli Stati Uniti equivalano (?) a sette euri e cinquanta centesimi d'euro.
(Equivalano = to be worth? I only studied Italian for two years, can't remember the right verb)

[Edited at 2020-07-18 00:15 GMT]

Tom in London

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
I hate having to think up a title every time I post in a forum Jul 18, 2020

Paul Dixon wrote:

(Equivalano = to be worth? I only studied Italian for two years, can't remember the right verb)

"equivalgono"

https://tinyurl.com/yyj33bfs

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:17
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Grazie Jul 18, 2020

Grazie for the information about the verb 'to be worth'. And the irregular form 'equivalso' is interesting.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Euro or Euros?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »