Thread poster: Martin Wunderlich
Martin Wunderlich
Martin Wunderlich
Local time: 19:52
English to German
+ ...
Aug 1, 2008

Hi all,

I am sure other people have come across this before and I hope there is a good solution out there:
I am looking for an automatic way to extract text from a layered Photoshop file (PSD). Preferably, this should be scriptable, so that the tool can be integrated into automated workflows. The script should extract the text from the PSD and dump it to a text file (possibly using unique IDs in key-value pairs or something like that). After translation, the script should ta
... See more
Hi all,

I am sure other people have come across this before and I hope there is a good solution out there:
I am looking for an automatic way to extract text from a layered Photoshop file (PSD). Preferably, this should be scriptable, so that the tool can be integrated into automated workflows. The script should extract the text from the PSD and dump it to a text file (possibly using unique IDs in key-value pairs or something like that). After translation, the script should take the translated text file and the PSD as input and dump the text back into the PSD file (either replacing the source text or create a new layer with the target text).

This seems like a useful enough thing and a common enough scenario, and yet there doesn't seem to be such a tool out there. Any ideas anyone?

Kind regards,

Martin
Collapse

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 20:52
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Previous similar discussion Aug 2, 2008

Hi Martin

I remember a previous similar discussion...
Check out this thread:
http://www.proz.com/forum/software_applications/23214-recomendation_needed_on_software_for_editing_images.html

whe
... See more
Hi Martin

I remember a previous similar discussion...
Check out this thread:
http://www.proz.com/forum/software_applications/23214-recomendation_needed_on_software_for_editing_images.html

where this product was mentioned:
http://www.transmissionsllc.com/solutions/photoshop/
(I haven't used it, so I cannot give you any direct info about it, though)

It might also be worth it to search through the Adobe website for any suitable plug-in.

Hope this helps,
Roberta
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Where can I find such files? Aug 2, 2008

Martin Wunderlich wrote:
I am looking for an automatic way to extract text from a layered Photoshop file (PSD). Preferably, this should be scriptable, so that the tool can be integrated into automated workflows.

Interesting. Where can I find some nice samples of such files?

Martin Wunderlich
Martin Wunderlich
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update Sep 12, 2008

Hi all,

Just a quick update here and sorry it has taken so long.
So, I got in touch with guys who provide this tool for extracting text from Photoshop files and they say it only works with Photoshop CS and only on Windows. This renders it pretty much useless for my purposes.

I am really surprised that there isn't a standard tool out there for this type of work. It is something that many, many people could need and it would save a lot of work in manually extract
... See more
Hi all,

Just a quick update here and sorry it has taken so long.
So, I got in touch with guys who provide this tool for extracting text from Photoshop files and they say it only works with Photoshop CS and only on Windows. This renders it pretty much useless for my purposes.

I am really surprised that there isn't a standard tool out there for this type of work. It is something that many, many people could need and it would save a lot of work in manually extracting text.

Cheers,

Martin
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 13:52
Spanish
+ ...
Any news? Mar 26, 2009

Thank you for starting this thread Martin, I'm currently looking for the same thing. Even though I do have Windows and PS CS, the price of Transmissions LLC is too steep for me, specially considering that I don't receive that format very often. I read that Rainbow can do the job, but with some problems. I wonder i... See more
Thank you for starting this thread Martin, I'm currently looking for the same thing. Even though I do have Windows and PS CS, the price of Transmissions LLC is too steep for me, specially considering that I don't receive that format very often. I read that Rainbow can do the job, but with some problems. I wonder if you found another way to translate *.psd files?Collapse

Martin Wunderlich
Martin Wunderlich
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sysfilter works Mar 28, 2009

Hi Claudia,

Have a look at the Sysfilter tool. Works quite well, but is Windows only.

http://www.ecm-e.de/cm_ger/news.php

Cheers,

Martin

Ana Tejada
Ana Tejada  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:52
Spanish to English
+ ...
free script, works with mac + windows Jun 26, 2009

I seem to be a little late to the reply, but I saw an article about a free script that does this, exports to file, you translate it, then import back to photoshop (think it works with the elements version of photoshop). I've used the script and it does work. Works with CS2 or later according the the... See more
I seem to be a little late to the reply, but I saw an article about a free script that does this, exports to file, you translate it, then import back to photoshop (think it works with the elements version of photoshop). I've used the script and it does work. Works with CS2 or later according the the installation file.

http://heightstranslators.com/translating_text_photoshop/translating_text_photoshop.html
Collapse

Franz Bissinger
Franz Bissinger  Identity Verified
Germany
Little Helper for PSD Dec 13, 2011

Hello everybody,

I'm reviving this thread because the subject here corresponds exactly to my current subject. So, please forgive for coming back to such an old thread.

During the past few years we had a lot of localization projects containing PSD files in our company. Sometimes we had to localize more than 200 PSDs for three or more languages. That was the time I was looking around for a tool I could use for text export from and import to PSD. Unfortunately, I couldn't
... See more
Hello everybody,

I'm reviving this thread because the subject here corresponds exactly to my current subject. So, please forgive for coming back to such an old thread.

During the past few years we had a lot of localization projects containing PSD files in our company. Sometimes we had to localize more than 200 PSDs for three or more languages. That was the time I was looking around for a tool I could use for text export from and import to PSD. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any except for Rainbow which has two big restrictions: It's not longer supported and the length of the localized text is restricted to the same length or less than the original text. Consquently that wasn’t a solution for me and so I begun to start my own examinations of the PSD format. That was in late 2009 and it was more difficult than expected because at that time I was not able to get the PSD file specs.

Now in December 2011 and after about two years of research and development, I finally succeeded in writing my own tool: Seschat's Little Helper for PSD. It actually does a complete text export and import on PSD files. It works very fast in both directions, it generates XLIFF output with a lot of additional information such as complete layer path information for each piece of text allowing a translator to find a certain text layer quickly, it keeps line breaks, it keeps almost all style and font information, and finally, it lets you "translate" the font names in case the fonts used in the source language do not contain the character set needed for the target language. It processes PSD files directly which means it does not need to have Photoshop or and special fonts installed.

I do not intend to sell the tool, but maybe I can help in certain cases. So, please feel free to contact me if you have any troubles with PSD localization.

Best
Franz

[Bearbeitet am 2011-12-13 16:03 GMT]
Collapse

Jose Montero
Jose Montero  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
Quite interesting Dec 14, 2011

Dear Franz
It sounds really good indeed! Where can we download the script/piece of sw and test it?
Thanks so much for sharing these news with us!

Franz Bissinger
Franz Bissinger  Identity Verified
Germany
I'm offering a service not a free download Jan 27, 2012

Dear José,

I'm sorry for answering so late. Unfortunately, there were and still are a lot of private things preventing me from taking care of your note. Anyway, let me try to answer now.

To be honest and as written earlier, we neither intend to sell Seschat's Little Helper - for PSD nor do we intend to provide it as free download*. It was really hard and it took a very long time to collect all necessary information and to do all the research necessary for bringi
... See more
Dear José,

I'm sorry for answering so late. Unfortunately, there were and still are a lot of private things preventing me from taking care of your note. Anyway, let me try to answer now.

To be honest and as written earlier, we neither intend to sell Seschat's Little Helper - for PSD nor do we intend to provide it as free download*. It was really hard and it took a very long time to collect all necessary information and to do all the research necessary for bringing the development of this tool to a successful end. So, it's simply not possible for us to make all that work available to others for nothing.

In general we intend to offer PSD text export and import as a service for which we will charge a certain fee based on the file count. I'm aware a service might not really help freelance translators, but as said in my first post: I do not intend to sell the tool, but maybe I can help in certain cases. So, please feel free to contact me if you have any troubles with PSD localization. I'm sure we find a solution for both sides, I'm at least willing and ready to.

Btw, if you (or whoever) like to run a test on some files, just contact me.

Best
Franz

* I'm thinking about preparing a free tool counting the number of text layers, strings (maybe plus number of format changes per string), and words in PSD files, but this surely will take a while.

[Bearbeitet am 2012-01-27 15:59 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Photoshop localisation - automated text extraction

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »