Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Local time: 11:56
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
Feb 29, 2004

Hi, all,
Does somebody have experience with those tools? Where to find them - at least to find out what they are?
Suppsoedly they are Microsoft's but I have tried to look at the MS site - could not find them...
Thank you,
Vladimir

Vladimir Pochinov
Vladimir Pochinov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 18:56
English to Russian
These seem to be MS internal tools. Feb 29, 2004

I have just found a link indicating that these tools are not available commercially:

Software Powerpoint Quark Express Trados 3, 5.5, 6 Office 97, 2000, 2001 Microsoft
LocStudio (internal MS tool) Microsoft Helium (internal MS tool) TextPad ...
nota.proz.com/pro/53485

dieter haake
dieter haake  Identity Verified
Austria
Italian to German
+ ...
Have a look ... Feb 29, 2004

http://www.theverybestofstuff.de/localization/localizationlinks.htm

regards

didi

Victor Sidelnikov
Victor Sidelnikov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 19:56
English to Russian
+ ...
Helium Feb 29, 2004

Vladimir Dubisskiy wrote:

Hi, all,
Does somebody have experience with those tools? Where to find them - at least to find out what they are?

I work with this tools. Yes, this is MS internal programms. You have a specific questions concerning this tools?

Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
Internal MS use only Feb 29, 2004

Both LocStudio and Helium are localization software for internal Microsoft use only.
So you can't download them or get them in any way except if you're on a MS localization project.
I have used both on several MS projects.

Thierry Lafaye (X)
Thierry Lafaye (X)
English to French
+ ...
Worked with it as an ex-Microsoftee in Dublin localization centre :) Feb 29, 2004

As the other said, yes it's only pure Microsoft tools for Microsoft products It is not their aim for the short/medium term to make them available to the public.

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Local time: 11:56
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
then please share - are they very differ from some other standard loc tools? Feb 29, 2004

Thank you all for the feedback - now I understand why i could not find them.

Thank you,
Vladimir

Jørgen Madsen wrote:

Both LocStudio and Helium are localization software for internal Microsoft use only.
So you can't download them or get them in any way except if you're on a MS localization project.
I have used both on several MS projects.

Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
Description of LocStudio Mar 1, 2004

This is how I would describe LocStudio, others may describe it differently.

LocStudio (4.54) has an Excel like user interface with a main window containing rows and columns (Source Term, Translation, etc.) A small window on the left (can be moved) contains a tree structure of the edb file to be translated. Another small window contains a tree structure of various filters to filter the strings with (very useful) and an overview of the attached glossaries (.edb or .lsg). You can defin
... See more
This is how I would describe LocStudio, others may describe it differently.

LocStudio (4.54) has an Excel like user interface with a main window containing rows and columns (Source Term, Translation, etc.) A small window on the left (can be moved) contains a tree structure of the edb file to be translated. Another small window contains a tree structure of various filters to filter the strings with (very useful) and an overview of the attached glossaries (.edb or .lsg). You can define your own filters and use many different parameters. A window at the bottom contains suggestions (matches) for the selected string (if the feature is enabled).

When translating, 100% matches (default) from the glossaries appear automatically in the Suggestions window. You can then insert the suggestion in the translation cell. You can lookup individual words in the glossaries using the Quick Search feature. Fuzzy matching is also possible.

Otherwise translation is a matter of typing your translation in the cells in the Translation column. The software has many features, and I don't know all of them, but it's fairly easy to use, once you get the hang of it.

I don't have Helium installed at the moment.
Collapse

Elisabeth Bull
Elisabeth Bull  Identity Verified
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Helium for translation of web files Mar 1, 2004

This is a quote from the Helium help file: "Helium is a lightweight, safe localization tool for translating all web files, regardless of whether those files are for web sites, help content, server or client side scripting, HTML dialogs, etc."

Using Helium you can autotranslate files in various formats - manually or automatic against lsg- or tmw-files, and preview the resulting source and target file as it will appear in the reader. The text in the edit window is being colour coded a
... See more
This is a quote from the Helium help file: "Helium is a lightweight, safe localization tool for translating all web files, regardless of whether those files are for web sites, help content, server or client side scripting, HTML dialogs, etc."

Using Helium you can autotranslate files in various formats - manually or automatic against lsg- or tmw-files, and preview the resulting source and target file as it will appear in the reader. The text in the edit window is being colour coded according to its translation status (reviewed, untouched, partly edited, autotranslated etc.), and the files in each project are coded similarly - according to whether they are fully translated, have issues/tag problems, are fully reviewed etc.

Best regards,
Elisabeth (who has used both tools on several Microsoft projects over the years)
Collapse

Kazuyuki OGAWA
Kazuyuki OGAWA  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 01:56
English to Japanese
+ ...
In LocStudio, how can I enlarge the fonts & hide/display columns? Jan 21, 2007

HI all,

Concernig Microsoft LocStudio, I like to ask you about the following three questions:

1) How can I enlarge the fonts ?

I ask this beccause the default font size is very small and
I cannot read them easily.

2) How can I hide columns once and display them again later?

I ask this because .EDB files have so many
columns that I don't need directly check to see when translating.
And also
... See more
HI all,

Concernig Microsoft LocStudio, I like to ask you about the following three questions:

And also because, after hiding those columns, I must
display them again as it was originally.

3) Can I adjust the height of each row individually?

I know I can adjust the heights of ALL rows at one time, but I don't know how I can adjust the height of each row individually.

Thanks in advance,
Bay

[Edited at 2007-01-21 07:15]

[Edited at 2007-01-21 08:09]

[Edited at 2007-01-21 21:33]

[Edited at 2007-01-21 21:48]

[Edited at 2007-01-22 12:24]
Collapse

Ivaylo Ivanov
Ivaylo Ivanov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
LocStudion custom settings Jan 30, 2007

Here are the answers to your questions:

Tools > Environment > Options > In Category select TranslationWindow, then in Size the font size you want

Tools > User Settings > Colums tab > Choose "LocStudio Software" and then check the boxes for the columns you want to appear and uncheck the boxes for the columns youwant to hide. From here you can rearange t
... See more
Here are the answers to your questions:

Tools > Environment > Options > In Category select TranslationWindow, then in Size the font size you want

Tools > User Settings > Colums tab > Choose "LocStudio Software" and then check the boxes for the columns you want to appear and uncheck the boxes for the columns youwant to hide. From here you can rearange the order of the columns.

As far as I know, you can't adjust the height individually

Good luck!

Bay wrote:

HI all,

And also because, after hiding those columns, I must
display them again as it was originally.

I know I can adjust the heights of ALL rows at one time, but I don't know how I can adjust the height of each row individually.

Thanks in advance,
Bay

[Edited at 2007-01-21 07:15]

[Edited at 2007-01-21 08:09]

[Edited at 2007-01-21 21:33]

[Edited at 2007-01-21 21:48]

[Edited at 2007-01-22 12:24]
Collapse

Kazuyuki OGAWA
Japan
English to Japanese
+ ...
Thank God! Jan 30, 2007

HI ivaylo!

It's awfully great!! I had come near to despair as no one could answer! You are very very professional!!!

BTW, after I change the order of columns, will no harm be done to the data from a client (= Microsoft), that is to say, can I restore it again to the original order ?

Thank you so much again!!!
Bay

Ivaylo Ivanov
Ivaylo Ivanov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Don't worry... Jan 30, 2007

...about the order of columns and there's no need to recreate the original order.

The order applies to your software (i.e. LocStudio) not to the database

If you need further help, ask here.

Bay wrote:

HI ivaylo!

It's awfully great!! I had come near to despair as no one could answer! You are very very professional!!!

BTW, after I change the order of columns, will no harm be done to the data from a client (= Microsoft), that is to say, can I restore it again to the original order ?

Bay

Kazuyuki OGAWA
Japan
English to Japanese
+ ...
Thank you again so much!! It's a very important information!!! Feb 3, 2007

HI ivaylo!

Thank you again so much!! It's a very important information to me!!!

Kindest regards,
Bay

ivaylo wrote:

...about the order of columns and there's no need to recreate the original order.

The order applies to your software (i.e. LocStudio) not to the database

If you need further help, ask here.

Bay wrote:

HI ivaylo!

Bay

Friedrich Gauss
Friedrich Gauss
English
Need help Mar 14, 2007

Hello everyone.

I need help with LocStudio 4.8

Many projects of our own need a change on the Software > project settings > Custom field options we lose lot of time changing manualy once and once again, so I was looking for some option to import these settings. The fact is that I think I found it and it is Glossary > Import > Glossary or Software Database, I´m not sure, here is my question: the options I told you before are not available, I touch every single button and
... See more
Hello everyone.

I need help with LocStudio 4.8

Many projects of our own need a change on the Software > project settings > Custom field options we lose lot of time changing manualy once and once again, so I was looking for some option to import these settings. The fact is that I think I found it and it is Glossary > Import > Glossary or Software Database, I´m not sure, here is my question: the options I told you before are not available, I touch every single button and I got nothing. I was wondering if you guys have some solution or any different way to "import" or "load" the custom fields.

Thanks a lot.

Federico.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

LocStudio and Helium localization tools

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »