Thread poster: James McVay
James McVay
James McVay  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:42
Russian to English
+ ...
May 16, 2013

I obtained an API from Google and activated an account. I copied the API to the OmegaT.14J file on the "-Dgoogle.api key=" line (which I had to add).

When I try to restart OmegaT, I get an error message that says --

Could not find the main class:
key=[xxx]. Program will exit.

Where [xxx] is my API. Any suggestions?

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
How-To May 16, 2013

Check the How-To on the site, if you didn't already:
http://www.omegat.org/en/howtos/google_translate.html

HTH

James McVay
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Susan! May 17, 2013

I hadn't seen the how-to. I got it to work -- I had left a period out of the dGoogle line.

James McVay
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Spoke too soon May 17, 2013

Okay, I copied the API into the OmegaT.14J file and got the program to open and function, but I get a message in the Machine Translation box that says, "Google Api key not available." What am I missing?

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:42
English to French
+ ...
Double-check the syntax May 17, 2013

James McVay wrote:
Okay, I copied the API into the OmegaT.14J file and got the program to open and function, but I get a message in the Machine Translation box that says, "Google Api key not available." What am I missing?

Assuming you have a paid account with Google (i.e., they have your credit card), you should double-check the syntax.

It's
-Dgoogle.api.key=231sdS321DSD31D32S1D3D2132D1
(This is not my real key.)

Didier

Susan Welsh
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
when this happened to me... May 17, 2013

One time it was because my Google account had been cancelled when my credit card was updated with a new expiration date, and I forgot to tell them.

The second time was because I use Windows 7, where you have to take the OmegaT.14J.ini file OUT of the place where it resides (put it on your desktop), THEN put in the google key, and put it back in its Program Files home.

I forget why, but this is apparently a "Windows 7" thing.

That is the full extent of my kn
... See more
One time it was because my Google account had been cancelled when my credit card was updated with a new expiration date, and I forgot to tell them.

The second time was because I use Windows 7, where you have to take the OmegaT.14J.ini file OUT of the place where it resides (put it on your desktop), THEN put in the google key, and put it back in its Program Files home.

I forget why, but this is apparently a "Windows 7" thing.

That is the full extent of my knowledge, so if it doesn't work, the experts will have to chime in.
Collapse

James McVay
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Clarification May 17, 2013

Didier Briel wrote:

Assuming you have a paid account with Google (i.e., they have your credit card), you should double-check the syntax.

It's

Didier

That's the syntax I used. I do have a Google account, and it's active. Incidentally, Google gave me two APIs: one for a server and one for a browser. I've tried both, but I'm not sure which one I should expect to work.

I am running Windows 7, and I did move the OmegaT.14J file to the desktop before modifying it and then moved it back again.

Susan Welsh
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
one more idea May 17, 2013

Try getting out of OmegaT now and relaunching it.
I had this problem just the other day, and I can't remember exactly how I solved it.

James McVay
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for sticking with me, Susan May 17, 2013

Susan Welsh wrote:

Try getting out of OmegaT now and relaunching it.
I had this problem just the other day, and I can't remember exactly how I solved it.

I'm ahead of you there. Already tried it. Multiple times.

Which API did you use, and did you copy it from a Google site or get it in an email? The only email I've received from Google is one asking me to click on a link to verify my email address.

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:42
English to French
+ ...
User the key for browser apps May 18, 2013

James McVay wrote:

Didier Briel wrote:

It's

Didier

That's the syntax I used. I do have a Google account, and it's active. Incidentally, Google gave me two APIs: one for a server and one for a browser. I've tried both, but I'm not sure which one I should expect to work.

I checked my Google API console, and the only key I have is
Key for browser apps (with referers)
so that is the one you should use.

This makes me think: would you have a "security product" (antivirus, security suite, etc.) that finds it smart to block the "referer"?

In that case, that might perhaps explain why it doesn't work.

Didier

James McVay
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Working now... May 18, 2013

It's a mystery, but now it works. Here's what I did. I took Didier's advice and disabled Norton 360 antivirus and smart firewall and started OmegaT -- MT worked. I enabled Norton again, and MT was still working. I exited OmegaT and restarted it. MT still works.

I probably should have opened OmegaT and checked MT before disabling Norton. Now I'll probably never know if Google finally decided to let me join the club, or if temporarily disabling Norton did the trick.

I sp
... See more
It's a mystery, but now it works. Here's what I did. I took Didier's advice and disabled Norton 360 antivirus and smart firewall and started OmegaT -- MT worked. I enabled Norton again, and MT was still working. I exited OmegaT and restarted it. MT still works.

I probably should have opened OmegaT and checked MT before disabling Norton. Now I'll probably never know if Google finally decided to let me join the club, or if temporarily disabling Norton did the trick.

I specialize in translating Russian articles on foreign affairs, and they typically contain a lot of non-Russian proper names of various sorts -- personal names, place names, titles of newspapers and journals, etc. Russian authors "Cyrillicize" them, so it can sometimes be difficult to find the proper or accepted spelling appropriate for use in English-language publications. Arabic names are a particular problem. Google Translate is superb at that, although -- I hasten to add -- each one needs to be checked.

Fortunately for the professional Russian-English translator, Google Translate does a horrible job with Russian syntax.

[Edited at 2013-05-18 20:14 GMT]
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Problem initiating Google Translate

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »