Thread poster: James McVay
James McVay
James McVay  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:44
Russian to English
+ ...
Jun 20, 2015

I'm currently translating a large InDesign file (about 55,000 words) in MemoQ 2013 using DNS premium 13. I'm running Windows 8.1 on a PC with an Intel Core i5 CPU and 8 GB of memory.

I'm having a vexing problem, and although I've developed workarounds, I'm curious to see whether anyone else has encountered something similar with this combination of software. Here's the problem:

When I first open the file in MemoQ, DNS works fine. It's quick, responsive and accurate. Af
... See more
I'm currently translating a large InDesign file (about 55,000 words) in MemoQ 2013 using DNS premium 13. I'm running Windows 8.1 on a PC with an Intel Core i5 CPU and 8 GB of memory.

I'm having a vexing problem, and although I've developed workarounds, I'm curious to see whether anyone else has encountered something similar with this combination of software. Here's the problem:

When I first open the file in MemoQ, DNS works fine. It's quick, responsive and accurate. After a while, however, DNS begins to lag, and eventually it freezes. I don't have a problem with MemoQ itself.

However, if I use the dictation box religiously, DNS continues working fine, and so does MemoQ. But if I'm away from the computer for more than a very few minutes, when I come back I find that DNS is frozen. I have to close DNS by killing all of the processes associated with it in Task Manager. If I exit DNS normally before taking a break and start it up again when I return, all is good. Everything works normally as long as I use the dictation box.

Use of the dictation box, of course, requires an extra step that I usually don't have to take with MemoQ (although I can often open it while I'm thinking about how to translate a segment; that saves time — I don't think it has added much to my workflow since I got into the habit of doing it).

How about it? Any comments, suggestions?
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:44
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
ask over in the KnowBrainer forum Jun 20, 2015

Hi James,

I have never come across this problem myself as I primarily use Dragon inside CafeTran, a different CAT tool. However, my stock answer to most questions related to Dragon posted here on Proz is that I suggest you also ask your question over in the KnowBrainer forum (where all the real Dragon gurus hang out), located at:
... See more
Hi James,

I have never come across this problem myself as I primarily use Dragon inside CafeTran, a different CAT tool. However, my stock answer to most questions related to Dragon posted here on Proz is that I suggest you also ask your question over in the KnowBrainer forum (where all the real Dragon gurus hang out), located at:

http://www.knowbrainer.com/forums/forum/index.cfm

Good luck!

Michael

[Edited at 2015-06-20 21:42 GMT]
Collapse

James McVay
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Michael Jun 20, 2015

Thanks for your suggestion. I visit Knowbrainer.com often, but I asked my question here because nobody on that forum uses MemoQ. Except me, that is. At least, as far as I know.

I will take your suggestion anyway, though.

[Edited at 2015-06-20 22:20 GMT]

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Hmm … good point Jun 20, 2015

You might also want to contact Jim Wardell (http://www.proz.com/profile/942542 ), who has written a lot about using Dragon & memoQ and who strikes me as one of the most knowledgeable people re using the two together.

Michael

Thomas Rebotier
Thomas Rebotier  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:44
English to French
Memory/Stack? Jun 21, 2015

Watch the DNS process in the task manager. Add the memory column and check it. If it keepts growing into 600-800+ mega then crash, it's probably the culprit. Dragon can be a hog, and if so you may have to increase some general parameters such as the size of the java stack. Otherwise Windows may show a lot of memory left but if it's not in one chunk large enough it won't be good...

Good luck!

James McVay
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Java stack? Jun 21, 2015

Thomas Rebotier wrote:

... increase some general parameters such as the size of the java stack.

That sounds like it might be a good idea. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to do it.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Java? Jun 21, 2015

Thomas Rebotier wrote:

Watch the DNS process in the task manager. Add the memory column and check it. If it keepts growing into 600-800+ mega then crash, it's probably the culprit. Dragon can be a hog, and if so you may have to increase some general parameters such as the size of the java stack. Otherwise Windows may show a lot of memory left but if it's not in one chunk large enough it won't be good...

Good luck!

Hi Thomas,

Neither memoQ nor Dragon are Java programs, so I'm not entirely sure what you mean by saying that the solution might be to increase the size of the Java stack.

However, Dragon loves RAM, so I would recommend getting your hands on as much as possible (it's cheap these days!, as long as you don't buy it from Apple). I currently have 32 GB, and Dragon works flawlessly and swiftly, no matter how many words I throw at it or how fast.

Michael

PS: hmm, having said that, I just checked the various Nuance programs in Process Viewer (natspeak.exe, loggerservice.exe, dragonbar.exe, dgnsvc.exe, dgnuiasvr_x64.exe + dnsspserver.exe) and they don’t seem to be using much more than seven or 800 MB max, all together, even when dictating continuously. I was sort of expecting to see a much higher number.

[Edited at 2015-06-21 18:06 GMT]

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
(repost of my answer over at KnowBrainer) Jun 21, 2015

James McVay wrote:

When I first open the file in MemoQ, DNS works fine. It's quick, responsive and accurate. After a while, however, DNS begins to lag, and eventually it freezes. I don't have a problem with MemoQ itself.

However, if I use the dictation box religiously, DNS continues working fine, and so does MemoQ. But if I'm away from the computer for more than a very few minutes, when I come back I find that DNS is frozen. I have to close DNS by killing all of the processes associated with it in Task Manager. If I exit DNS normally before taking a break and start it up again when I return, all is good. Everything works normally as long as I use the dictation box.

Use of the dictation box, of course, requires an extra step that I usually don't have to take with MemoQ (although I can often open it while I'm thinking about how to translate a segment; that saves time — I don't think it has added much to my workflow since I got into the habit of doing it).

How about it? Any comments, suggestions?

Hi James,

As far as I know this is a well-known problem, stemming from the way Dragon keeps "its eye on" all text accessible in whatever text box you happen to be in at any given moment. If you have Full Text Control in a given text box, this also means that Dragon has to keep all the text in memory, so it can act on it. I may have completely misunderstood this (or at the very least have expressed it very poorly), but I’m sure someone here will correct me if this is indeed the case.

Regarding memoQ (which I also own), I would suggest using memoQ's "View" functionality to try to chop up your project into manageable bits. That is, try creating a set of Views, each consisting of a relatively small number of segments/words (e.g. segments 1–50, 50–100, 100–150, etc.), and see if this helps.

Michael

James McVay
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Already tried this suggestion Jun 21, 2015

Michael Beijer wrote:

Regarding memoQ (which I also own), I would suggest using memoQ's "View" functionality to try to chop up your project into manageable bits. That is, try creating a set of Views, each consisting of a relatively small number of segments/words (e.g. segments 1–50, 50–100, 100–150, etc.), and see if this helps.

Michael

The file is on my client's server. I mentioned the problem to my project manager, and splitting the file into a number of views was her attempt to help. It didn't help. I can't see under MemoQ's hood, but I suspect it still loads the entire file but then just puts part of it "off-limits" to the translator. I can still see the entire file, but I can just work in part of it at a time.

Interestingly enough, Fluency does have a feature that allows you to split a large file into several smaller pieces.

[Edited at 2015-06-21 21:20 GMT]

Georgi Kovachev
Georgi Kovachev  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 06:44
Member (2010)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Have you tried to split your Indesign file in Fluency? Jun 23, 2015

Interestingly enough, Fluency does have a feature that allows you to split a large file into several smaller pieces.

Hi James,

I know my comment is off topic, but have you tried to split your Indesign file in Fluency? As per my knowledge, it handles Word files only with regard to splitting and joining files.
Fluency Now Enterprise also has an embedded speech recognition feature. Have you tried this one? Are you pleased with it?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Georgi

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DNS 13 and MemoQ

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »