MA in translation from the University of Western England - feedback needed
Thread poster: Markus Heinr (X)
Markus Heinr (X)
Markus Heinr (X)
German to English
Aug 21, 2010

I am thinking about doing the MA in Translation from UWE. Has anyone heard anything about it? Or has anyone done it?

It looks like i will also be accepted by other Universities, so i would be interested what kind of reputation UWE has.

wsetters
wsetters
Local time: 06:21
French to English
I didn't know it had an MA in translation Aug 24, 2010

Xirod wrote:

I am thinking about doing the MA in Translation from UWE. Has anyone heard anything about it? Or has anyone done it?

It looks like i will also be accepted by other Universities, so i would be interested what kind of reputation UWE has.

You got the name wrong

In terms of general reputation I'd say it doesn't have a particularly bad or good one. It's a relatively "new" university. I wasn't aware it had a translation MA course though...

Markus Heinr (X)
Markus Heinr (X)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for the info Aug 27, 2010

Yes i did get the name wrong, my apologies

Thank you for the information, i apreciate it. And yes, they do have an MA in translation.

Louisa Berry
Louisa Berry
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:21
Member (2009)
German to English
Portsmouth University Aug 27, 2010

I am looking at the MA in Translation offered by Portsmouth University, which seems to have a good reputation for languages and linguistics.

I also looked at the UWE course and if I remember rightly I decided it was too theoretical compared with Portsmouth which seemed to have more courses which were of practical use to me as I am already working as a translator. This may not be the case for you, of course.

Louisa

Markus Heinr (X)
Markus Heinr (X)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
I looked at portsmouth aswell Aug 28, 2010

As far as i can remember, the fees are trippled if you are not physically in the Uk when you are doing the course. I am not 100 percent certain, i think that was it though. I will look into it again. Does anyone know anyone ho has done the UWE MA?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MA in translation from the University of Western England - feedback needed

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »