Thread poster: neilmac
neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 09:17
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 23, 2013

Whereabouts on the proz site is the most appropriate to discuss or seek help about language usage issues like grammar and vocabulary, etc?

I've just spent (wasted ) 10 minutes fruitlessly looking for somewhere to discuss capitalization in English.

Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English
+ ...
How about the proofreading/editing forum? Nov 23, 2013

Chances are people who know about grammar and word usage, etc. will see it.

[Edited at 2013-11-23 12:24 GMT]

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Couldn't find it Nov 23, 2013

I didn't see anywhere to click the last time I looked...

Daniela Zambrini
Daniela Zambrini  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
here Nov 23, 2013

http://www.proz.com/forum/proofreading_editing_reviewing-418.html

The subsection "proofreading /editing /reviewing" is in the "Translation art & business" forum section

Ciao

[Edited at 2013-11-23 18:47 GMT]

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:17
Spanish to English
+ ...
Another possibility... Nov 23, 2013

...would be to post the term/issue of concern as an "English-English" query. In my view, this function has not been properly exploited to address usage issues that native speakers have, and instead tends to be overwhelmingly characterized by posts from those using English as a second-language (who tend to post questions that even minimally proficient native speakers can easily answer).

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Perhaps we could start a thread for this sort of query? Nov 23, 2013

We are always coming across questions that don't really fit in the KudoZ forum — for example, questions about capitalization or punctuation, or about quotations — and it seems as if it might be useful to have a thread for just that; not a highly structured format like KudoZ, but just an open thread, more like 'Word reference', for example.

It would be great if people whose questions didn't fit in KudoZ might be redirected there; a link to it might even be included on the 'questi
... See more
We are always coming across questions that don't really fit in the KudoZ forum — for example, questions about capitalization or punctuation, or about quotations — and it seems as if it might be useful to have a thread for just that; not a highly structured format like KudoZ, but just an open thread, more like 'Word reference', for example.

It would be great if people whose questions didn't fit in KudoZ might be redirected there; a link to it might even be included on the 'question asking' form, like "Is your question really suitable for KudoZ? If not, try here: ..."
Collapse

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Just out of interest... Nov 23, 2013

... what was your question?

Daniela could then move it, if necessary. If it's about capitalisation conventions, the proofreading forum is probably most appropriate, as she says.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nov 23, 2013

Daniela Zambrini wrote:

http://www.proz.com/forum/proofreading_editing_reviewing-418.html

The subsection "proofreading /editing /reviewing" is in the "Translation art & business" forum section

Ciao

[Edited at 2013-11-23 18:47 GMT]

Thanks for posting that link. I don't know why it isn't easier to access these things around the proz site

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Idle curiosity Nov 23, 2013

Giles Watson wrote:

Daniela could then move it, if necessary. If it's about capitalisation conventions, the proofreading forum is probably most appropriate, as she says.

Nothing world shattering, I just wanted to know if "university" should be capitalised when it's used as an adjective (a university student vs a University student). In the end I just made my own decision (a university student). I usually bounce this sort of thing off a couple of friends and colleagues but none of them were (was?) available at the time.

[Edited at 2013-11-23 20:26 GMT]

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Eureka! Nov 23, 2013

Robert Forstag wrote:

...would be to post the term/issue of concern as an "English-English" query. In my view, this function has not been properly exploited to address usage issues that native speakers have, and instead tends to be overwhelmingly characterized by posts from those using English as a second-language (who tend to post questions that even minimally proficient native speakers can easily answer).

Good idea, must try it sometime

Tony's suggestion also sounds good to me.

[Edited at 2013-11-23 20:28 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-11-23 20:28 GMT]

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Unless your style guide of choice says different... Nov 23, 2013

neilmac wrote:

Giles Watson wrote:

Nothing world shattering, I just wanted to know if "university" should be capitalised when it's used as an adjective (a university student vs a University student). In the end I just made my own decision (a university student). I usually bounce this sort of thing off a couple of friends and colleagues but none of them were (was?) available at the time.

... the "university" in "university student" is a generic adjective and there is no reason to capitalise it. If, on the other hand, you are talking about a specific university, you might want to capitalise "University" if it is used attributively as part of the institution's name, e.g. "a University of Cambridge student".

FWIW

Agnes Lenkey
Agnes Lenkey  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
Wordreference Nov 23, 2013

Hi Neilmac,

apart from ProZ, I enjoy the forums of Wordreference, I don't know you, but I like that site. There you can post grammar/capitalisation etc. questions as well.

http://forum.wordreference.com/

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Linguistics? Nov 24, 2013

I believe this sort of queries used to be posted in the Linguistics forum.

I have a similar question, when would subjects be capitalized and when not, eg. Geography, history etc? When in general context they are not capitalized, and when referred to as school subjects then they are? Is this correct and is there anything else to add? I've seen varied uses, not always systematic.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
More points Nov 24, 2013

Giles Watson wrote:

neilmac wrote:

Giles Watson wrote:

... the "university" in "university student" is a generic adjective and there is no reason to capitalise it. If, on the other hand, you are talking about a specific university, you might want to capitalise "University" if it is used attributively as part of the institution's name, e.g. "a University of Cambridge student".

FWIW

Yes, but what about capitalization to stress something or when talking about a concept?

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
Hi Neil Nov 24, 2013

neilmac wrote:

Whereabouts on the proz site is the most appropriate to discuss or seek help about language usage issues like grammar and vocabulary, etc?

I've just spent (wasted ) 10 minutes fruitlessly looking for somewhere to discuss capitalization in English.

The need for a format that allows a freer, more detailed and expansive exchange of ideas on certain matters has only relatively recently been given some leeway, with the introduction of the "Discussion" section in Kudoz.

A small step for Proz in the right direction.

In my 12 years on this site, I've never seen a "Kudoz-type" question receive as many responses (100+) as a recent thread on English usage as "Declare" ....for example.

(Note to Proz. There are many professionals who couldn't care less about PointZ and are allergic to the constraints of the Kudoz format, but would be more than willing to engage in an exchange of ideas just for the sake of it.
These people are valuable and should not be ignored.)

Tony M.'s idea would be the way to go.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Language usage queries

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »