Barbara L Pavlik
Barbara L Pavlik  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:59
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 2, 2021

Hello! Does anyone know of an online dictionary of Old German? Much to my simultaneous delight and dismay, I have discovered several sentences in old German buried in a text I'm translating, and I'm not having much luck finding helpful resources. I'm not even sure if it's Althochdeutsch or some other vernacular, because it's a series of quotes from old lumberjacks!

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
How incomprehensible is it? Aug 2, 2021

Does it read like Chaucer to the modern English speaker? Or worse?

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
Local time: 16:59
English to German
In memoriam
Maybe this one helps Aug 2, 2021

http://www.koeblergerhard.de/ahdwbhin.html

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
Possibly dialect? Aug 2, 2021

You might try posting a phrase in the German section. You might be barking up the wrong tree by trying to track down the words/phrases in OHG/MHG.

Barbara L Pavlik
United States
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Schwarzwald Aug 2, 2021

I've since found out that this is not Old German but a heavy Schwarzwald dialect from deep in the woods. I've got some help on a FB forum, but it's rough going. Just three or four sentences, and the meaning is "almost" clear on most of them, but I@m still far from confident.

Steffen Kern
Steffen Kern
Local time: 16:59
English to German
Grimm Aug 3, 2021

I recommend checking the German Dictionary by the Brothers Grimm (yes, the ones from the fairy tales). They put together a quite extensive dictionary that includes many obsolete and dialect words from the olden times.

Digital version here: https://woerterbuchnetz.de/?sigle=DWB

Barbara L Pavlik
United States
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aug 3, 2021

Thanks to everyone who weighed in here. I think I've got it sorted now. Found some people from the region. I'm grateful for all the resources though, as I'm sure they will come in handy in the future!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Old German Dictionary?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »