Thread poster: Aleksandra Bud
Aleksandra Bud
Aleksandra Bud
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Feb 1, 2022

Hi guys,

I am in need of some badly translated user manuals from English to Polish. If you are aware of such translations or know where I can find some examples - please let me know. I am currently working on my thesis, that focuses on technical translation and I really need some help

Mihai Badea (X)
Mihai Badea (X)  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 01:03
English to Romanian
+ ...
A different approach might be preferable Feb 1, 2022

You might want to elaborate a bit on what exactly you are trying to achieve.

Colleagues with an academic background might be able to provide you with helpful advice, if you are willing to give some level of detail.

Your intended approach seems rather negative in nature to me.
You assume there are badly translated user manuals, but you don't have evidence for it.
It should be the other way around. You take some manuals, do a thorough analysis and then reach
... See more

Colleagues with an academic background might be able to provide you with helpful advice, if you are willing to give some level of detail.

You assume there are badly translated user manuals, but you don't have evidence for it.
It should be the other way around. You take some manuals, do a thorough analysis and then reach a substantiated conclusion.

User manuals can usually be found on the websites of manufacturers of various devices and appliances, in the Support section.
Collapse

Jorge Payan

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Lol Feb 1, 2022

OF COURSE there are badly translated manuals.

Most will be from Chinese or Japanese or Korean, but you're sure to find some from English if you look.

A good starting point is to consider who makes stuff where the original language is English.

Obvious suspects to check out will be:

* Software (not sure if this works for you)
* Farming equipment (John Deere etc.)
* Heavy vehicles (Caterpillar etc.)
* Trucks
* Aviation
... See more
OF COURSE there are badly translated manuals.

Most will be from Chinese or Japanese or Korean, but you're sure to find some from English if you look.

A good starting point is to consider who makes stuff where the original language is English.

Obvious suspects to check out will be:

* Software (not sure if this works for you)
* Farming equipment (John Deere etc.)
* Heavy vehicles (Caterpillar etc.)
* Trucks
* Aviation
* Industrial machinery

[Edited at 2022-02-01 21:44 GMT]
Collapse

Aleksandra Bud
Aleksandra Bud
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No bad intensions Feb 2, 2022

Mihai Badea wrote:

It should be the other way around. You take some manuals, do a thorough analysis and then reach a substantiated conclusion.

User manuals can usually be found on the websites of manufacturers of various devices and appliances, in the Support section.

Here I come with some explanation. I am working on a project regarding technical translation. I chose user manuals, because as a kid I used to laugh when reading badly translated manuals - like really badly translated . I know for sure that those translations were the result of just putting the whole text into google translate box and not proof reading it. That is what I am looking for.

No bad intensions here.

Andrzej Mierzejewski
Andrzej Mierzejewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 01:03
Polish to English
+ ...
Go to the Polish forum. Feb 2, 2022

Aleksandra,
You need "some badly translated user manuals from English to Polish", therefore the Polish forum is the only place where you can count on any help.

[Modifié le 2022-02-02 21:05 GMT]

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Barbara Carrara
neilmac

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Technical translation // user manuals //help needed

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »