Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Local time: 08:12
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
Mar 31, 2022

I recently took the plunge and went full Linux. All of my clients use online platforms now and I no longer have to use desktop versions of translation software. I'm really happy with my new installation and can practically hear my laptop sigh with relief. I even managed to find a Deepl workaround!

There is one thing I would find useful: some piece of software (could be a dictionary or note taking software or something entirely different) to create personal glossaries. Sometimes I ge
... See more
I recently took the plunge and went full Linux. All of my clients use online platforms now and I no longer have to use desktop versions of translation software. I'm really happy with my new installation and can practically hear my laptop sigh with relief. I even managed to find a Deepl workaround!

There is one thing I would find useful: some piece of software (could be a dictionary or note taking software or something entirely different) to create personal glossaries. Sometimes I get a large online project that doesn't permit the creation of my own glossary within the platforms but I still want to keep track of terminology. I am aware it's as simple as two columns in a sheet, but maybe there is something fancy that copies marked terms automatically with less keystrokes?

Any ideas? Even if you don't use Linux, tell if you found useful software for your OS, maybe there are adaptations I can find.
Collapse

Mr. Satan (X)
Yaotl Altan

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
A Macro Tool Mar 31, 2022

For macOS I have created a macro that I for fun reasons pompously have called The Ultimate Term Tool. I've written about it here at Proz.

Perhaps it's possible to create something like that with AutoKey too?

[Edited at 2022-03-31 13:57 GMT]

Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Neat tool! Mar 31, 2022

German-Dutch Engineering Translation wrote:

For macOS I have created a macro that I for fun reasons pompously have called The Ultimate Term Tool. I've written about it here at Proz.

Perhaps it's possible to create something like that with AutoKey too?

[Edited at 2022-03-31 13:57 GMT]

Your tool looks nice, and AutoKey looks like a really neat tool! I'm afraid it's a bit of a steep learning curve right now - though I've always loved playing with Python.

Hans Lenting

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
The Story of the Snake Mar 31, 2022

Anna Sarah Fazendeiro wrote:

Your tool looks nice, and AutoKey looks like a really neat tool! I'm afraid it's a bit of a steep learning curve right now - though I've always loved playing with Python.

Yet another great Dutch invention, just like Bluetooth.

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Create glossaries in Linux Mar 31, 2022

Hello Anna,

It is great to see more translators pick up Linux as their OS of choice. I am definitely seeing a trend these recent months!

We have a dedicated forum here on ProZ where we can help each other: https://www.proz.com/forum/linux_os_free_software-70.html

Just in case you've missed it, there's a website I am curating which discusses
... See more
Hello Anna,

It is great to see more translators pick up Linux as their OS of choice. I am definitely seeing a trend these recent months!

We have a dedicated forum here on ProZ where we can help each other: https://www.proz.com/forum/linux_os_free_software-70.html

Just in case you've missed it, there's a website I am curating which discusses tools for professional translators running GNU/Linux: https://translateonlinux.org/

You'll find a section on terminology management: https://translateonlinux.org/#terminology-management

CSV/TSV with a tool such as LibreOffice or Ron's Editor (Windows app, but works great under Linux with Wine) would be a simple program-agnostic solution that you can reuse in many ways.

And if you use a Clipboard manager - https://translateonlinux.org/#clipboard-managers - you can copy both source and target term and paste them.

I am afraid nothing more automatic comes to mind. However, I am following this discussion, and if anything I've missed comes up, I'll be happy to add it to the wiki.

Autokey is a great program, with many functions (the simplest being the "text expander" feature, no Python skills required), but I don't know how to make it work for the purpose you describe.

Also, I am interested in the workaround you've found for DeepL (I am guessing you mean the desktop app, which is available for Windows and MacOS, right?)

[Edited at 2022-03-31 16:23 GMT]
Collapse

Mr. Satan (X)

Sara Massons
Sara Massons  Identity Verified
France
Member (2016)
English to French
+ ...
Thank you SO much you all for this topic! Apr 1, 2022

Hello,

I've been using Lynux for long back in the 1990's and I felt somehow "forced" back into Windows due to desktop CAT tools. I don't have enough time today but I will surely follow up this thread and all the ressources you share here and hopefully go back to an OS closer to my values (and also so much lighter!).

So I just want to THANK YOU!

Of course I will share any ressource I'll find by myself.

Jean Dimitriadis
Hans Lenting
Mr. Satan (X)

Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Apr 1, 2022

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

Hello Anna,

Just in case you've missed it, there's a website I am curating which discusses tools for professional translators running GNU/Linux: https://translateonlinux.org/

Wow, great resources! I will look into them.

My Deepl Linux (this workaround is not a true desktop app, but opens the website in a small window and gives the same look and feel, but using it costs one more keypress than for the Windows version) came from a github repository that I cannot find anymore - I probably can coax the info out of the command line somewhere but am too much of a noob at this time. It was similar to this: https://github.com/kumakichi/deepl-linux

Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Are you being gaslighted by your OS? Apr 1, 2022

Sara Massons wrote:

Hello,

I've been using Lynux for long back in the 1990's and I felt somehow "forced" back into Windows due to desktop CAT tools. I don't have enough time today but I will surely follow up this thread and all the ressources you share here and hopefully go back to an OS closer to my values (and also so much lighter!).

So I just want to THANK YOU!

Of course I will share any ressource I'll find by myself.

Yes, values. That was another reason it felt so good to change back - I also had Ubuntu on my first laptop and was forced back to Windows because of CAT tools. I am working on a gaming laptop I bought five years ago and while I was preparing the new OS install Windows told me my computer wasn't good enough for the upgrade to Windows 11. Thank you very much, but I spent more on this computer than I spent on my car and will not throw out a perfectly good working tool because you let your OS get bloated beyond usability.

Now, the CTRL key that never worked under Windows (I had to reassign keys) is doing just fine. The USB that was dead since forever under Windows is doing its job without complaint. And the best is, updates wait patiently in the background behind a polite little symbol that I can click when I want - no sudden shut down in the middle of important work.

Hans Lenting
Mr. Satan (X)

Matheus Nascimento
Matheus Nascimento  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Rainbow Apr 1, 2022

Maybe, Rainbow by Okapi Framework is the one you're looking for.

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Bash script Apr 1, 2022

If I understood you correctly, you want to copy the glossary database from the cloud app running in your web browser and save it as a spreadsheet locally, no? This depends on the webpage layout itself, but you certainly can utilize a bash script and xclip to make the chore a bit more efficient.

As an example, to create a large single database file and append new entries as you go, this script can be used:

#!/bin/bash
# Hippity hoppity this script is nobody's property.

printf "$(xclip -o)\n" >> /home/user/Documents/Glossary.csv

Or, if you want to create separate database files for different entry categories (alphabets, clients, fields, projects, etc.), you can use this script instead. It’ll automatically add index numbers at the end of the filenames, so the newly created file won't overwrite the old one:

#!/bin/bash
# Yeah, baby!

num=1
outfile="/home/user/Documents/Glossary_$num.csv"

while [ -e "$outfile" ]; do
num=$(( num + 1 ))
outfile="/home/user/Documents/Glossary_$num.csv"
done

xclip -o > "$outfile"

Replace user with your username, and don’t forget to give an execute permission to the script (chmod 700 should do).

Then you can bind the script to a key shortcut. So you select the texts you’d like to copy in your web browser, press your key combo, and a CSV file containing your selections will be created automatically, which you can open in LibreOffice Calc. If you want to save the file in a different location, just modify the path in the script. You can also customize the filename, if you so desire.

Please bear in mind that I don’t know if this would work on Wayland. I’m on X11 and this works perfectly fine, but YMMV.

If you don’t trust these scripts, you can ask the folks on Reddit, Stack Exchange, or LinuxQuestions.org to know if there’s anything malicious in them. That’s the beauty of open-source software.

&& welcome aboard the U.S.S. Tux, enjoy your freedom.

----

Edit:

This should be obvious, but just for the sake of giving a clarification. You can create a large, growing database for each alphabet/client/field/project/whatever with script #1. But you’ll need to assign their filenames in the scripts accordingly and bind different key combos to launch different scripts for each database category.

[Edited at 2022-04-01 18:05 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Create glossaries in Linux

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »