Rex Su
Rex Su
China
Local time: 07:28
Member (2019)
English to Chinese
+ ...
May 7, 2022

Hello everyone, I've received a lot of questions concerning Chinese financial translation (such as rates, how to find a job, and so on) in China. That's why I assume many of my friends here have similar questions or may have new knowledge I'm not aware of.

I believe the Chinese financial terms are quite strange and tricky for many translators, such as “一体两翼策略” and “刚性兑付”, which appear quite frequently in many test papers of translation houses.

... See more
Hello everyone, I've received a lot of questions concerning Chinese financial translation (such as rates, how to find a job, and so on) in China. That's why I assume many of my friends here have similar questions or may have new knowledge I'm not aware of.

I believe the Chinese financial terms are quite strange and tricky for many translators, such as “一体两翼策略” and “刚性兑付”, which appear quite frequently in many test papers of translation houses.

I recommend Economics app for anyone intending to improve its Chinese financial translation skills, as it has opened the China sector with bilingual texts for a long time.

Raise your question if any.
Collapse

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:28
Japanese to English
+ ...
Chinese financial translation May 8, 2022

This week I completed a long Chinese financial translation commissioned by a company in Germany. It related to an application for setting up a corporation in Taiwan and involved legal and financial terminology. The financial and legal terms were apparent as I had financial and legal dictionaries at hand. Also a number of the terms were similar to their equivalent in Japanese (most likely because of the Japanese occupation of Taiwan). The entire document was written in Classical Chinese (or in th... See more
This week I completed a long Chinese financial translation commissioned by a company in Germany. It related to an application for setting up a corporation in Taiwan and involved legal and financial terminology. The financial and legal terms were apparent as I had financial and legal dictionaries at hand. Also a number of the terms were similar to their equivalent in Japanese (most likely because of the Japanese occupation of Taiwan). The entire document was written in Classical Chinese (or in the author's idea of Classical Chinese). This is not so unusual as even the instructions for a bottle of aspirin in Chinese can seem like a passage from Mencius). It was a good challenge and I look forward to more projects like this one.Collapse

Rex Su

Rex Su
Rex Su
China
Member (2019)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I know your feelings May 8, 2022

Michael Newton wrote:

This week I completed a long Chinese financial translation commissioned by a company in Germany. It related to an application for setting up a corporation in Taiwan and involved legal and financial terminology. The financial and legal terms were apparent as I had financial and legal dictionaries at hand. Also a number of the terms were similar to their equivalent in Japanese (most likely because of the Japanese occupation of Taiwan). The entire document was written in Classical Chinese (or in the author's idea of Classical Chinese). This is not so unusual as even the instructions for a bottle of aspirin in Chinese can seem like a passage from Mencius). It was a good challenge and I look forward to more projects like this one.

Like you, it took me two years to comprehensively understand the financial terms in a research report since some financial phrases common in foreign nations may be unfamiliar to mainland China because the Chinese financial industry is not as mature as the foreign one. That's why I understand when you say "it was a good challenge," because it was to me.

LIZ LI
LIZ LI  Identity Verified
China
French to Chinese
+ ...
HKEX recommended May 13, 2022

Michael Newton wrote:

This week I completed a long Chinese financial translation commissioned by a company in Germany. It related to an application for setting up a corporation in Taiwan and involved legal and financial terminology. The financial and legal terms were apparent as I had financial and legal dictionaries at hand. Also a number of the terms were similar to their equivalent in Japanese (most likely because of the Japanese occupation of Taiwan). The entire document was written in Classical Chinese (or in the author's idea of Classical Chinese). This is not so unusual as even the instructions for a bottle of aspirin in Chinese can seem like a passage from Mencius). It was a good challenge and I look forward to more projects like this one.

Can't speak for the Taiwan market (ZHTW), but the HKEX website is a good resource for glossaries.
And HKEX sees itself as a marketplace for connectivity.
Lots of loan words from HK Cantonese into Mainland Mandarin, esp. securities.

But some annual reports are...一言难尽。

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ask me anything about Chinese financial translation

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »