Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:07
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
I object too and would like some answers from Proz staff Jun 15, 2016

I find it especially sad that the ProZ Force visitor view option is unreliable.

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:07
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
The term "Certified Professional Translator" for non-members is illegal in Canada Jun 15, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

2. I agree that the description "A CERTIFIED PROFESSIONAL TRANSLATOR"is misleading and may well be illegal, certainly here in the UK.

It's certainly illegal to use the term "certified professional translator" in Canada unless you are a member of the translators' association.

From the law in Ontario: "Any person in Ontario who, not being registered as a certified member of the Association, takes or uses the designation "Certified Translator", ... either alone or in combination with any other word, name, title or description ... is guilty of an offence."

[Edited at 2016-06-15 20:09 GMT]

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:07
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
the other perspective Jun 15, 2016

I suspect that most people here will not really appreciate this view, but consider for a moment that most people in this thread who agree with writeaway's two points will most likely not be on TM-Town. Possibly because they haven't had time to look into it yet, but most likely because they hate it with a passion. However, what about Proz users who are on TM-Town? What do you think they would prefer (if asked)? Indeed, these people would probably not mind so much if a new link that might l... See more
I suspect that most people here will not really appreciate this view, but consider for a moment that most people in this thread who agree with writeaway's two points will most likely not be on TM-Town. Possibly because they haven't had time to look into it yet, but most likely because they hate it with a passion. However, what about Proz users who are on TM-Town? What do you think they would prefer (if asked)? Indeed, these people would probably not mind so much if a new link that might lead to their TM-Town profile were placed here and there on the Proz.com site.

**Full disclosure:** I myself rank quite high in both the KudoZ Arena and on TM-Town, so I suppose that's also why I don't really mind one way or another.

Michael
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 02:07
SITE FOUNDER
Will look into profile text Jun 15, 2016

Hi folks,

Thanks. I'll look into the matter of the text appearing in the profile.

Henry

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
That message is quite unbelievable! Jun 15, 2016

Jo Macdonald wrote:
If you search for a translator here on Proz, after you get the results for a certain specialization a box is shown in the top left corner above the search results.
It says
New Search Option: Get matched to the best experts for your job with Nakōdo
It's a hyperlink that opens the Nakodo search engine on TM-Town.

Imo whether Nakodo works just as well still has to be proved and until this is proven I would prefer to see the two systems kept separate rather than encouraging clients who are searching for a Pro on Proz to use Nakodo to find someone who has uploaded a load of TM data.

Can you remove that Nakodo link from the Proz "Translators" search page please?

May be unrealistic to request its complete removal, IMHO. But surely its wording is tantamount to telling our potential clients that only the dross will be found here, while the real experts hang out at TM-Town. Thanks ProZ.com - great value for my ProZ.com subscription and participation!

In fact, nothing is further from the truth. Not that some experts aren't to be found there, I wouldn't know - but the Nakodo search engine won't find them as a result of their expertise. It will find them on the basis of volume and machine-matching of keywords. That doesn't denote expertise.

A note to Michael: Do you know if clients searching on TM-Town get a similar message saying the experts can be found on the ProZ.com site?

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Italian to English
+ ...
I'm on both sites Jun 15, 2016

Michael J.W. Beijer wrote:

However, what about Proz users who are on TM-Town? What do you think they would prefer (if asked)? Indeed, these people would probably not mind so much if a new link that might lead to their TM-Town profile were placed here and there on the Proz.com site.

Michael

Hi Micheal,
I'm on both sites and would prefer potential clients looking for translators on Proz to see Translator search results of paying Proz members who are top-ranked kudoz contributors in that field displayed without a link encouraging them to look for someone else on Tm_Town.

[Edited at 2016-06-15 15:49 GMT]

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Not that I know of. Jun 15, 2016

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Jo Macdonald wrote:
If you search for a translator here on Proz, after you get the results for a certain specialization a box is shown in the top left corner above the search results.
It says
New Search Option: Get matched to the best experts for your job with Nakōdo
It's a hyperlink that opens the Nakodo search engine on TM-Town.

Imo whether Nakodo works just as well still has to be proved and until this is proven I would prefer to see the two systems kept separate rather than encouraging clients who are searching for a Pro on Proz to use Nakodo to find someone who has uploaded a load of TM data.

Can you remove that Nakodo link from the Proz "Translators" search page please?

May be unrealistic to request its complete removal, IMHO. But surely its wording is tantamount to telling our potential clients that only the dross will be found here, while the real experts hang out at TM-Town. Thanks ProZ.com - great value for my ProZ.com subscription and participation!

In fact, nothing is further from the truth. Not that some experts aren't to be found there, I wouldn't know - but the Nakodo search engine won't find them as a result of their expertise. It will find them on the basis of volume and machine-matching of keywords. That doesn't denote expertise.

A note to Michael: Do you know if clients searching on TM-Town get a similar message saying the experts can be found on the ProZ.com site?

Hi Sheila,

Not that I know of. All I found so far is "© 2016 TM-Town. Patent Pending. TM-Town is owned and operated by ProZ.com -- serving freelance translators since 1999.", at the bottom of each TM-Town page. No other links to Proz.com that I can see. However, keep in mind that this is a very recent acquisition. I expect all kinds of things will be changing in the near future, so I wouldn't worry all too much about the occasional glitch or oversight. Also, I don't really know either of them personally, but I don't think that either Henry or Kevin are out to get us in any sinister way. I think they're just trying to integrate the two sites in ways that might benefit us users.

Michael

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Hmm, you might have a point there. Jun 15, 2016

Jo Macdonald wrote:

However, what about Proz users who are on TM-Town? What do you think they would prefer (if asked)? Indeed, these people would probably not mind so much if a new link that might lead to their TM-Town profile were placed here and there on the Proz.com site.

Michael

Hi Micheal,
I'm on both sites and would prefer potential clients looking for translators on Proz to see Translator search results of paying Proz members who are top-ranked kudoz contributors in that field displayed without a link encouraging them to look for someone else on Tm_Town.

[Edited at 2016-06-15 15:31 GMT]

Yes, you might have a point there. I mean, I've actually put quite a lot of work into KudoZ over the years, precisely because it greatly boosts my ranking. Hmm. I'm also ranked quite high over on TM-Town, but if I had to choose, I'd prefer to have clients find me over on this side, as it's where I spend most of my time.

Michael

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
@ Michael Jun 15, 2016

I don't really know either of them personally, but I don't think that either Henry or Kevin are out to get us in any sinister way. I think they're just trying to integrate the two sites in ways that might benefit us users.

I don't have any reason to suspect either of them of doing that either. But as paying members of this site we have a right and a duty to protect the position we've paid for. And having potential clients told to go elsewhere is not what I paid for!

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Thanks - Jun 15, 2016

Henry Dotterer wrote:

Hi folks,

Thanks. I'll look into the matter of the text appearing in the profile.

Henry

Thanks Henry - I'm sure many of us here will look forward to its removal.

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Me too Jun 15, 2016

Jo Macdonald wrote:

Michael

Hi Micheal,

Me too, on both accounts.

On a different note, why is this thread not showing up anymore on the "Most Recent Posts" page? ( http://www.proz.com/forum/categories/recent-recent.html )

[Modificato alle 2016-06-15 15:48 GMT]

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Integration... Jun 15, 2016

I think they're just trying to integrate the two sites in ways that might benefit us users.

That's the magic word. "Integration".

However, two different websites, two separate (and basically competing...) directories and two alternative (paid) memberships don't seem to go exactly in that direction, IMHO...

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
magic integration Jun 15, 2016

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

I think they're just trying to integrate the two sites in ways that might benefit us users.

That's the magic word. "Integration".

However, two different websites, two separate (and basically competing...) directories and two alternative (paid) memberships don't seem to go exactly in that direction, IMHO...

We shall see

(I definitely don't envy their task.)

Michael

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Henry Jun 16, 2016

I too hope you will decide to either remove the link to TM-Town or give us the option to have it removed. I also hope the wording regarding the P-holder certification claim on TM-Town will be changed to make it more accurate and clearly indicate that the 'certification' stems from and is tied to Proz.com.
I must say I am a bit surprised and disappointed to see that this posting has been removed from the 'recent forum posts' pages and is now completely out of sight.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Strange... Jun 16, 2016

writeaway wrote:

I too hope you will decide to either remove the link to TM-Town or give us the option to have it removed. I also hope the wording regarding the P-holder certification claim on TM-Town will be changed to make it more accurate and clearly indicate that the 'certification' stems from and is tied to Proz.com.
I must say I am a bit surprised and disappointed to see that this posting has been removed from the 'recent forum posts' pages and is now completely out of sight.

That's strange! I posted this to see if the topic bumps up to the top of the list of forums, as it should. But it didn't. Why?

[Edited at 2016-06-16 12:13 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Two objections regarding TM-Town related advertising

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »