Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Do I have a chance without translation credentials?
Thread poster: Javier Grande
Bettina Hammer
Bettina Hammer  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 01:01
English to German
Please give more information Feb 4, 2014

Tatty wrote:

Hi Javier,

Translation is now regulated by EU law. The EU saw fit to introduce this legislation in order to protect purchasers of translations, who were deemed to be getting a raw deal. Agencies should only really work with qualified translators, that is you should either have 3 years full-time experience or a degree or masters-level qualification in translating.

Can you please quote some of the regulations? I am quite surprised because as far as I know "translator" is, same as "journalist" not being legislated.
Of course any company, agency or whatever can chose only to work with people who hav a degree in xyz but it is unknown to me that "translator" is regulated.

I am eager to hear more about the regulation and the effects and I hope you can help out.

Tim Friese
Tim Friese  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:01
Member (2013)
Arabic to English
+ ...
You seem to have a strong resume Feb 4, 2014

I see no reason why you can't make it as a full-time freelancer.

I began not that long ago with an academic background in education and very little translation experience and was paying my bills within about 3 months.

More credentials can certainly help you get jobs and especially better-paying jobs, but I see no reason you can't go full-time as of yesterday.

Good luck!

Mark Benson (X)
Mark Benson (X)  Identity Verified

English to Swedish
+ ...
CPN Feb 5, 2014

What does being a translator mean to you?

It took me many years before... Well, actually I still find it difficult to accept that this... There's nothing else I can do to make equally good money.

Regarding your question: Sign up as a member and then join the CPN network. At least start by signing up as a member.

There is no need to have any credentials, whatsoever, and the profession is not protected (in Sweden or anywhere I have heard of), but there is us
... See more
What does being a translator mean to you?

It took me many years before... Well, actually I still find it difficult to accept that this... There's nothing else I can do to make equally good money.

Regarding your question: Sign up as a member and then join the CPN network. At least start by signing up as a member.

There is no need to have any credentials, whatsoever, and the profession is not protected (in Sweden or anywhere I have heard of), but there is usually some state authorization.

The only credentials that are really relevant to translation as such, if I can say so, is the one you already tried for.
Collapse

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
The translation profession is crying out for people like you Feb 5, 2014

Javier, I just took a quick look at your speciality fields, and I would say they're great. Typically the kind of field that pure linguists like myself will run a mile from. I'm in translation for the pleasure of playing with language, and my brain gave up on technology when I couldn't figure out why the wheels of my bike turned faster than the pedals (no please don't try to explain, I'm happy to leave it in the "mysterious magic" department along with light switches and whatnot). So in fact the... See more
Javier, I just took a quick look at your speciality fields, and I would say they're great. Typically the kind of field that pure linguists like myself will run a mile from. I'm in translation for the pleasure of playing with language, and my brain gave up on technology when I couldn't figure out why the wheels of my bike turned faster than the pedals (no please don't try to explain, I'm happy to leave it in the "mysterious magic" department along with light switches and whatnot). So in fact the translation profession is crying out for people like you. Provided you have a decent command of both source and target languages (and your English is great), your STEM background will be a great selling point.

So go for it, I hope you enjoy being a translator!
Collapse

Radovan Pletka
Radovan Pletka  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:01
English to Czech
+ ...
You need talent, not credentials Feb 5, 2014

There are two types of translators, successful ones, and the rest. When you look on the successful ones, the main characteristic they all have is the talent for translation.
They also have the perfect knowledge of their working languages and the subjects they do. They are also gifted negotiators, because translators do not get the rate they deserve, but the rate they negotiate.

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
I didn't have translation credentials Feb 6, 2014

... when I started. Long story short, people liked my samples.

Puritad Thongpreecha
Puritad Thongpreecha  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 06:01
Member (2011)
English to Thai
there are always alternative ways in almost everything Feb 7, 2014

i don't have any credentials too. but i do web links to my previous works. i know that someone don't believe that they are my works. fortunately, someone believe, and i start from there. quality jobs, reasonable rate and some repeated clients are the keys in freelance job. Cheer!

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:01
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
No credentials, tons of work. Feb 8, 2014

Hi Javier,

I’ll keep it short too.

No credentials here (translation degree or membership of any professional organisation), but tons of work. I keep meaning to join the ITI or CIOL, but haven’t really had the time/need yet.

However, I should probably also mention that I sneaked in through the back door as my mother owned a translation agency.

Michael

[Edited at 2014-02-08 12:17 GMT]

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Rita Pang
Rita Pang  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:01
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
No credentials either Feb 10, 2014

Michael Beijer wrote:

Hi Javier,

I’ll keep it short too.

No credentials here (translation degree or membership of any professional organisation), but tons of work. I keep meaning to join the ITI or CIOL, but haven’t really had the time/need yet.

Michael

[Edited at 2014-02-08 12:17 GMT]

If you've got a niche, you've got a way. Getting started is obviously tough because without much to show on your C.V. which is related to this field of work. However, a worthy client will surely put you to some sort of test, and if you pass that test, you are good enough for the job (for them, at least).

I don't have any credentials either as my current country of residence does not offer any formal training for translation in my main working pair of languages. I am not making big money, but definitely happy with how things are going now. Surely, with your profile, you'll manage!

Good luck!

[Edited at 2014-02-10 03:36 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-02-10 03:36 GMT]

Javier Grande
Javier Grande  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you everyone... Mar 8, 2014

for the useful advice and encouragement!

In the last few weeks, following your suggestions, I have been trying to write an appealing "About me" section in my profile and earn some "KudoZ". Just yesterday I joined ProZ.com as a full member, and I'm planning to go through the mentoring program, which probably is a good way to give my first steps here. I will try to keep a pro-active approach by directly contacting some agencies as well.

All in all, thank you so much for
... See more
for the useful advice and encouragement!

In the last few weeks, following your suggestions, I have been trying to write an appealing "About me" section in my profile and earn some "KudoZ". Just yesterday I joined ProZ.com as a full member, and I'm planning to go through the mentoring program, which probably is a good way to give my first steps here. I will try to keep a pro-active approach by directly contacting some agencies as well.

All in all, thank you so much for your suggestions. You gave me not only great advice, but also a lot of hope that I will be able to do it!

Best,
Javier

[Edited at 2014-03-08 12:36 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-03-08 12:37 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do I have a chance without translation credentials?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »