Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38] >
Ask me anything about subtitling
Thread poster: Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 17:53
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- May 21, 2021

Zagarella Maryrose wrote:

Hi Max!
I have a film that has a block of text a the beginning, which is on screen for one or two minutes. I think it would be nice to have a matching block of text below it, instead of normal subtitles. But it's not possible to do that in SRT, is it? I don't want to ask the client their preference, or for any guidance, because it's for a test.

Hi Zagarella,

If it is for a test, you should have been provided with a set of subtitling guidelines/requirements by your client, and if you haven't, it would make sense to ask them for such a set. Otherwise, you need to think about how necessary this on-screen text will be for the target audience:

- Is it plot-pertinent? Does it matter for the story? If not, you don't need to subtitle it.
- Do the viewers already know what it means? (E.g. it's very simple, like "hello", and they have some fluency in the source language, like the Dutch know English) If they do, you can leave it unsubtitled.

But if this text does need to be subtitled, you definitely don't want it to linger on the screen for two whole minutes – no viewer will appreciate that. So what you can do is give it the maximum allowed duration (usually between six and eight seconds depending on the client), while making sure it doesn't overlap with any dialogue, as you don't want to display two subtitles simultaneously. Or, if the text is longer than two lines of text, you should split it into several two-line subs and give them enough display time, so that the viewers can read them before they disappear.

[Edited at 2021-05-21 05:47 GMT]

Zagarella Maryrose
Zagarella Maryrose
Spain
Local time: 14:53
Spanish to English
+ ...

Hi Max! Thank you very mcuh for your reply. I think your advice makes sense. Actually the text is only on screen for about 9 seconds. I have opted for normal subtitles, since the client said that they want the text to be translated.

Max Deryagin

Zagarella Maryrose
Zagarella Maryrose
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
I can't find the font tab in Subtitle Edit 3.6.1 May 21, 2021

I actually have encoutered another dificulty now, in the very next frame. :/ I just want to make the font a little bit bigger for the
FN subtitle for the title of the film.
I have searched in Nikse forums and apparently the font can be made larger by going into the font tab. But I cannot find the font tab. I just updated it today, and I'm using 3.6.1.
Can you shed any light on this topic?
BTW I think this is the best forum thread EVER!!

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- May 21, 2021

Zagarella Maryrose wrote:

I actually have encoutered another dificulty now, in the very next frame. :/ I just want to make the font a little bit bigger for the
FN subtitle for the title of the film.
I have searched in Nikse forums and apparently the font can be made larger by going into the font tab. But I cannot find the font tab. I just updated it today, and I'm using 3.6.1.
Can you shed any light on this topic?
BTW I think this is the best forum thread EVER!!

Thanks for the kind words

If you are working with SubStation Alpha files, you can change the subtitle font in Options > Settings > ASS/SSA style. For image-based formats, you can find this setting in the export menu in File > Export. If you are using SRT, well... it doesn't support fonts.

Zagarella Maryrose
Zagarella Maryrose
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...

Okay, good to know! Thank you, Max. You are my hero.

Max Deryagin

Zagarella Maryrose
Zagarella Maryrose
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thanks Kalyanasundar, I agree :)) May 21, 2021

Yes, I think I am going to try Aegisub, it looks cool!

Carlos Castillo
Carlos Castillo
Venezuela
Local time: 08:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
Subtitle editor or video player with support for .ttl tts:textAlign feature. May 31, 2021

Hi, Max.

Do you know of a free subtitle editor that has support for the tts:textAlign feature? Or at least a video player or plug-in in which I can see it? I'm not really expecting a free editor to support all features in any of the TTL profiles, but at least the justification. I haven't been able to edit or at least see the justification in SubtitleEdit, and I'm not sure if it's just that I haven't found out how.

Thanks in advance.

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- May 31, 2021

Carlos Castillo wrote:

Hi, Max.

Do you know of a free subtitle editor that has support for the tts:textAlign feature? Or at least a video player or plug-in in which I can see it? I'm not really expecting a free editor to support all features in any of the TTL profiles, but at least the justification. I haven't been able to edit or at least see the justification in SubtitleEdit, and I'm not sure if it's just that I haven't found out how.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Carlos,

Professional subtitling tools usually support at least a couple of TTML profiles and the justification attribute in them, but I'm not sure if any free tool does. As far as Subtitle Edit, it's kind of wonky when it comes to TTML1, and even though you can choose the screen region from File > Timed Text Properties (or just by right-clicking the sub in the subtitle list), there's no choice of justification. And even though VLC itself supports .ttml and .dfxp files and displays their tts:textAlign correctly, when used within Subtitle Edit, VLC shows TTML subtitles bottom-centered.

Carlos Castillo
Carlos Castillo
Venezuela
Local time: 08:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
- Jun 2, 2021

Max Deryagin wrote:

Hi Carlos,

Professional subtitling tools usually support at least a couple of TTML profiles and the justification attribute in them, but I'm not sure if any free tool does. As far as Subtitle Edit, it's kind of wonky when it comes to TTML1, and even though you can choose the screen region from File > Timed Text Properties (or just by right-clicking the sub in the subtitle list), there's no choice of justification. And even though VLC itself supports .ttml and .dfxp files and displays their tts:textAlign correctly, when used within Subtitle Edit, VLC shows TTML subtitles bottom-centered.

Thank you, Max. Always great answers.

Max Deryagin

Liliane Ribas (Tambasco)
Liliane Ribas (Tambasco)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:53
Member (2020)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Using translations of Netflix series as work sample Jun 3, 2021

Hi Max

As Netflix gives credit to the subtitler, I wonder how or if it is possible to add the episodes we translated to our CV, PROZ profile, and so on.
Do you have any idea about that?

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Jun 3, 2021

Liliane Ribas de Freitas wrote:

Hi Max

As Netflix gives credit to the subtitler, I wonder how or if it is possible to add the episodes we translated to our CV, PROZ profile, and so on.
Do you have any idea about that?

Hi Liliane,

Netflix don't mind translators adding films and shows they've translated to their CV and site profiles, but only after the release date. You generally also need to make sure that your LSP's NDA doesn't prohibit you from doing so, but in your case it's unnecessary, because such a clause would be absolutely illegal in Spain, so there's nothing to worry about.

Liliane Ribas (Tambasco)
Spain
Member (2020)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Thanks! Jun 3, 2021

Thanks Max for your reply.
And do you know how translators usually add them, just adding the series title and episode number, or there is a way to add a link for the episode? For instance, I translate to BPO. How clients outside Brazil would be able to check the episode to evaluate the subtitles?

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Jun 3, 2021

Liliane Ribas de Freitas wrote:

Thanks Max for your reply.
And do you know how translators usually add them, just adding the series title and episode number, or there is a way to add a link for the episode? For instance, I translate to BPO. How clients outside Brazil would be able to check the episode to evaluate the subtitles?

There isn't any specific approach for this. People add titles differently, in whatever way they think would work best.

Liliane Ribas (Tambasco)
Spain
Member (2020)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Thanks Jun 4, 2021

Thanks Max.
Your link is always very helpful.

Max Deryagin

Zagarella Maryrose
Zagarella Maryrose
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
converting SRT to Excel: line break problem Jun 6, 2021

Hi Max! It's me, your fan!
I have a client who wants subtitle files in Excel format. I found a great blog page showing how to convert the SRT file to XLSX. Here's the link to the blog page, in
... See more
Hi Max! It's me, your fan!
I have a client who wants subtitle files in Excel format. I found a great blog page showing how to convert the SRT file to XLSX. Here's the link to the blog page, in case anyone wants it:
http://www.translationengland.com/translation-blog/how-to-export-subtitle-edit-subtitle-files-into-microsoft-excel
But I tried converting the files back to SRT and seeing if they still looked okay, and the line breaks don't work. They look like this in the subtitles || and the lines don't break at those places.
Do you know how to fix that?
Thanks in advance)
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ask me anything about subtitling

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »