Pages sur ce sujet:   < [1 2]
Use of commas in numbers (e.g. 27,5 vs. 27.5)
Auteur du fil: Tom in London
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thaïlande
Local time: 09:09
anglais vers thaï/siamois
+ ...
Find and replace Aug 29, 2010

Marijke Singer wrote:

I leave them for the end and then colour code all the commas into red and replace them with a period in the right colour. I search based on any digit followed by comma or go through 0 through to 9 followed by a comma. Works a treat and it does not annoy me any more.

I use find and replace function of CAT before and after the translation. Manual adjustment of comma and point is a special attention I give to translate GE, IT and FR.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Annamaria Amik
Annamaria Amik  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:09
roumain vers anglais
+ ...
My CAT tool is of no help Aug 30, 2010

Niraja Nanjundan wrote:

CAT tools have a function which automatically does this conversion for you - it's very convenient and saves a lot of time. If you don't like or don't use them, you can do the same with "find and replace" in Word.

Although I am using Trados with the proper settings, it simply doesn't change commas to periods and viceversa when the numbers are in separate segments (as it skips all the segments which contain only numbers). It is even more annoying that I can't actually open those segments (using Tageditor) to correct them manually.

Luckily, if these numbers are in a table, it's easy to use the replace all function.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Espagne
Local time: 04:09
Membre (2005)
anglais vers espagnol
+ ...
Other tools let you do it Aug 30, 2010

Annamaria Amik wrote:
Although I am using Trados with the proper settings, it simply doesn't change commas to periods and viceversa when the numbers are in separate segments (as it skips all the segments which contain only numbers). It is even more annoying that I can't actually open those segments (using Tageditor) to correct them manually.

It always surprised me that TagEditor would not show the numbers as translatables, since they need internationalisation in so many cases. I just wanted to mention that other tools let you see and handle the numbers.

Andrzej Mierzejewski
Andrzej Mierzejewski  Identity Verified
Pologne
polonais vers anglais
+ ...
Reply to Tom in London Aug 30, 2010

Tom in London wrote:

1. I am not Anglo-Saxon, I'm Irish. I get annoyed very easily.
2. I was not, and am not, suggesting that one method is better, or more correct, than another. I'm intrigued as to why you thought I was.

Anyway, I get the impression that it doesn't bother you.

[Edited at 2010-08-29 20:41 GMT]

1. I did not know that you're Irish. Please accept my apologies.
2. Looks like I've incorrectly interpreted your point of view.

Being technical translator, I come across tables with numbers quite frequently. Replacing commas with dots or vice versa is just a routine operation, outcome of different notation conventions. Nevertheless, a very important part of the entire job as I am supposed to deliver a correct translation, numbers included. To me, no reason for being annoyed.

Best regards

AM

[Zmieniono 2010-08-30 10:42 GMT]

Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)
Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)  Identity Verified
Pologne
Membre (2010)
anglais vers polonais
+ ...
DVX Aug 30, 2010

Hello,
I don't know about other tools, but DVX is very good here. I often have tables with data but that's no problem because DVX does it automatically (I mean it changes commas to full stops and vice versa).
Ewa

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italie
dots and commas Aug 30, 2010

Hello

it seems that someone miss out on the core matter

one cannot simply put a dot where there is a comma and the other way round

one MUST follow SI-IS rules, and the engineer documentation/software localisation rules thereafter

and it applies to USA and UK too ...

and NO CAT knows SI-IS rules, unluckily, even if you can setup the OS (then the CAT and other
... See more
Hello

it seems that someone miss out on the core matter

one cannot simply put a dot where there is a comma and the other way round

one MUST follow SI-IS rules, and the engineer documentation/software localisation rules thereafter

and it applies to USA and UK too ...

and NO CAT knows SI-IS rules, unluckily, even if you can setup the OS (then the CAT and other softwares will follows it) to do a part of the job

for example, if you setup Windows to follow the ISO rules, then DNS will write 3 500 when you pronounce "tremilacinquecento" and Trados will automatically convert 3.500 as 3 500 (at least with SDL Trados 2007 freelance)

Claudio

[Modificato alle 2010-08-30 19:49 GMT]
Collapse

Rifraf
Rifraf
not part of translation? Aug 31, 2010

Tom in London wrote:

I just use find/replace but it's one of those little tasks that don't really fall within the definition of "translation" - that's why it bugs me.

Not part of translation? Well, it's definately part of your job as a translator!
Just like all French translators have to put spaces in front of punctuation marks.

If this is the only thing you dislike doing in your profession, I guess you can consider yourself lucky:)

Pages sur ce sujet:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Use of commas in numbers (e.g. 27,5 vs. 27.5)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »