Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Considering ending my Oxford Dictionaries Pro subscription after corpus search feature removed.
Thread poster: Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:19
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
? Feb 11, 2014

The Misha wrote:

urbom wrote:

The Misha wrote:

what do they have that you can't get for free by googling your phrase in quotation marks? [ ... ] Correct me if I am wrong.

Check out http://corpus.byu.edu/coca/compare-google.asp, by the person in charge of the BYU family of corpora:

The Web is much larger than the Corpus of Contemporary American English (COCA), and Google is a great search engine. So why not just use Google to see what's happening in contemporary American English? Well, as good as it is for most searches, there are things that neither Google (nor any other search engine) can do (or which they do only very poorly), but which are possible with our corpus: [ ... ]

as well as the article "Googleology is Bad Science" from the Journal of Computational Linguistics 33(1), March 2007, pp. 147–151, available here as a pdf.

I checked all the links diligently, and just like I expected it is mostly a sales pitch by folks selling dictionaries or doing "linguistic research" at European public universities (do you guys even have private ones over there?) at the taxpayers' expense. If you ask me, that's nice work if you can get it. I am not by any means trying to convince anyone of anything, but personally I'll stick to Google, thank you. I don't need any hand holding. Thanks for the discussion, everyone.

Hi The Misha,

No disrespect, but I find your attitude a little strange. As far as I can tell, using the resources at corpus.byu.edu is free. I just registered, and wasn't asked for my credit card details.

Also, although Adam Kilgarriff (the author of the interesting article at http://www.kilgarriff.co.uk/Publications/2007-K-CL-Googleology.pdf ) does work for (owns?) Lexical Computing Ltd. (the company behind the Sketch Engine), he actually also happens to be a very nice guy.

Michael

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:19
French to English
European mindset Feb 12, 2014

The Misha wrote:

I checked all the links diligently, and just like I expected it is mostly a sales pitch by folks selling dictionaries or doing "linguistic research" at European public universities (do you guys even have private ones over there?) at the taxpayers' expense. If you ask me, that's nice work if you can get it. I am not by any means trying to convince anyone of anything, but personally I'll stick to Google, thank you. I don't need any hand holding. Thanks for the discussion, everyone.

According to a certain European mindset, it is important to have people researching language (and plenty of other fields for that matter) without being subjected to shareholder pressure to make money or to the whims of a "philanthropist". I'm not sure that it would suit me to do that kind of work, as I prefer to produce work with more immediate benefit, but I'm really glad there are people doing it. The ivory tower is frequently mocked, but it does actually underpin the whole of civilisation.

We certainly do have a plethora of private institutions for further education, mostly catering to those who fail to get into a state-run establishment.

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:19
Portuguese to English
+ ...
One more link Feb 12, 2014

The interface I use was developed by the University of Leeds and I find it is very user-friendly:

http://smlc09.leeds.ac.uk/itweb/htdocs/Query.html

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Considering ending my Oxford Dictionaries Pro subscription after corpus search feature removed.

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »